Two OS installed on Hardrive causing problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by feyrieprincess, Nov 24, 2004.

1. feyrieprincess

feyrieprincess Private E-2

I reformated the hardrive on my Compaq Presario CD and installed Windows XP Home Edition from a Gateway Operating System CD liscensed to my office. I did this because after formatting it, I had initially installed Windows XP Professional from a disk that turned out to be pirated. The install was not complete, but whenever I boot, it gives me the option of which OS to chose-- XP or Home.

I now have 2 hardrives C:\ and D:\. Drive C:\ has 17.09 GB of space with 16.45 GB free. Drive D:\ has 2.93 GB space with 17 MB free.

The problem is, my computer defaults to D:\. I think my desktop is running off of D:\ as well. When I tried to download and install Service Pack 2 after the format, it will not install due to insuficiant disk space on D:\. Other apps I have tried to install give me the same msg. I do not know how to tell the Windows Update to go to C:\ instead of D:\. Also, I am unable to install fonts necessary for my job which requires me to print from Adobe Acrobat Reader. I have tried installing apps and font files on C:\, but for some reason I keep getting the "D:\ does not have enough disk space" error msg, and cannot run the applications.

I suspect this is caused by the pirated extra XP OS still being present on my computer. I don't know how to uninstall it.

Help!

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

My first Question?
    How does a Windows Disc suddenly turn out to be pirated?
    Either you bought it or you didnt!
    Then next Question is it leagal that you have XP Home from your office?

The solution is simple.
    But I smell a rat!

3. feyrieprincess

feyrieprincess Private E-2

You're right. A rat would be present here. I didn't buy the first disk. It was a copy my brother made for me about a year ago after my computer was destroyed by spyware. The disk was from a pirated download-- resulting in a quick and painful lesson about pirated software and copyright laws. This would be the rat you smelled-- However, it is a niaeve rather than an evil rat whose actions were based on lack of knowledge rather than ill intent.

Yes it is legal that I have the disk from my office-- we have a lisence for the company.

4. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

You're correct the OS is installed onto the D:\ drive. I think the easiest thing for you to do is to reinstall the XP Home. There will come a point in the install where you can pick which drive to load the OS...at this point you would pick C: You will end up with XP Home on the C: drive, and you can format the 3GB D: drive afterwards within Windows.

This is the quickest & least technical way to do it. The better option would be to FDISK & Format the drive using a Win98SE or WinME boot disk. You can then have all 20GB on one C: drive, or you could split it a little more evenly than you have now, if desired. Then install the WinXP.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I agree with Wavetar.
    Or
    If you know what brand Hard Drive you have you can download Free Utility from thier Web site's to format your HDD to one single partition or more, it's up to you, then reinstall XP home.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds