Two PC's on KVM switch share a usb printer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Black_Blade, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Black_Blade

Black_Blade Private E-2

I have two pc's operating on a kvm switch and I need to be able to have both pc's able to print to a single usb printer. The oldest PC has only one usable USB port which the KVM is connected to at the moment..was wondering if it would be possible to plug in a USB hub into the old PC and then run two cables from the hub..one to the KVM switch, one to a auto switch that would allow both PC's to use the single printer.

Anyone try this kind of arrangement? Just wondering if the KVM switch would work in a hub or not..

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Your mileage may vary, but this did NOT work for me.
    How about the other PC?
    I assume you are networked, put the printer on the newer PC and share it.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have a router? If so, you could attach the printer via a printer server to the router and share it. Example of such a piece of hardware
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139009

I have two computers on a KVM switch and have a parallel to ethernet print server working for years.
    I can't speak how well the USB versions work but my parallel, which was probably purchased in 2004 works well. I have an added advantage because it is connected to the router, I can print wirelessly to it from other computers upstairs and downstairs in the house.

4. Black_Blade

Black_Blade Private E-2

When you mentioned router, I recalled I still had an old d-link router in a box of rubble in the garage...I plugged both pc's into it and set up printer sharing on the newer pc and then added the printer on the older xp pc and boom...problem solved!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Glad to hear you got it working and for no extra $$$ just some time setting it up. :clap

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds