tying to use a zip file

Discussion in 'Software' started by RAM0120, Aug 25, 2003.

1. RAM0120

RAM0120 Private E-2

I am trying to download and use Kazaabegone ( I have windows 98). It downloads as a zip file and then when I open the file it is just symbols. Can anyone help????

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

First you have to unzip it. Win 98 doesn't have a built-in unzipping utility, so go and get a free one. FreeZip comes to mind. The site that gave you Kazaabegone has a link to WinZip on it.

Install the unzipper, then run it and open the Kazaabegone.zip file with it. That will produce an executable (exe extension) file and 11 definition files. Put all of the 12 files together in a folder and double-click the executable filename.

When you finish, delete the zip file, the executable, and all 11 of the definition files.

3. RAM0120

RAM0120 Private E-2

I found the unzip software and successfully executed the kazaabegone exe file, and rebooted, but now I can't open anything on the internet. I had to go into DOS and run a restore.
    Now I m back where I started, with Kazaa still on my computer.

4. Wisewiz

What do you mean, you "can't open anything on the Internet"?

Does your connection work? Can you open your browser? Does your home page come up?

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

trying opening a command prompt and typing "ping yahoo.com" without the quotes.

6. RAM0120

RAM0120 Private E-2

I can't get to my home page or any of my favorites, I get the screen that says the site is unavailable, no matter what site I try to go to I get the same response. the address for my home page is still shown on the control panel internet options

7. Wisewiz

I'm not absolutely sure it's W98 that has this, but try: There's a repair tool for MSIE in Control Panel's Add_remove Programs. Find Internet Explorer and ... Tools, click it and click the button, and it should offer you the option of Repair Internet Explorer. If it does, choose that and run it. Then try the browser again.

If it just offers to remove IE, you can try clicking that anyway, because it WON'T remove IE, and that might be the way you get to the repair function.

Mebbe somebody else here has experience with using IE repair in W98. I don't. I've just heard here on MG that it can be done.

8. RAM0120

RAM0120 Private E-2

Yes, the option to repair explorer works in Windows 98, but it doesnn't solve the problem. I might try to download the explorer 6 update from the microsoft website to my hardrive, then retry kazaabegone, then reload the explorer program from my hardrive, what do you think.

9. Wisewiz

Worth a shot, I guess. I've seen a lot of reports on the forums about virus removers screwing up TCP-IP functions. It may be that you're going to have to do more than install a browser update. One thing you could try is using the Windows Network Connection Wizard to establish a new copy of your connection to your ISP.

I keep thinking that if you can go back to before the k-begone program ran and get and run reputable bug-and-spy removers instead, you'd be better off, and there wouldn't be any damage to your connectivity.

I answered your e-mail message by e-mail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds