Type-Over Correction Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by COMPUABLE, Oct 7, 2007.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Type-Over Correction Problems

I'm having a HUGE problem regarding editing documents on the web as well as with Microsoft Word 2002 and while even typing here in the forum. I know it probably sounds like a minor bother but I'm going out of my mind here because I rely on WORD like every day and I use web forms like this forum every single day.

If I type a paragraph and then go back to edit it again (say in the middle of the paragraph) the typing TYPES RIGHT THROUGH the words that follow where I'm editing, erasing them in the process.

I'm confused for two reasons (1) Why on Earth would anyone actually WANT this to happen - it seems like a stupid "option" to have available on WORD. (2) Why and how exactly does this happening - I do not "prompt" WORD to do this.

I wish there was a way to eliminate this idiotic "option" wherever it is entirely.

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You haven't hit the "Insert" on your Keyboard by any chance COMPUABLE??

I have done that and had the same results, all you have to do is hit it again

I know it sounds simple, but figure if I Have done it then others might. Hope that helps

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hi COMPUABLE,

I think BC is correct. :)

Steve

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Holy Moly YOU TWO GUYS JUST MADE MY NIGHT (esp. Matacumbie for the step-by-step)

I owe you two a Virtual Beer! Cheers!

[​IMG]

Another problem solved by the Major Geeks folks (in less than 10 minutes!) Thanks so much, seriously!

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Just a small return for all the help you have given COMPUABLE, but Thanks for the Virtual Beer, but dang it, it just don't taste the same as the Real ThingLOL

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

.........or as filling. ;)

Glad you got it COMPUABLE :)

Steve

7. adam1937

adam1937 Private E-2

It did not work

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Matacumbie and BCGray you guys are the greatest. Thanks again and for the answer and your follow-up comments, as well. No kidding here - definitive answer in less than 10 minutes late so late on a Saturday night - that's simply amazing! I'm fairly good at searching for answers via search engine queries on my own for myself and for others but this one just baffled me.

The problem I believe; was the fact that I did not know quite how to "phrase" the "when I type the letters disappear" question so I was being directed to unrelated "auto-correct" suggestions and answers that did me no good at all.

No kidding definitive answer in less than 10 minutes late so late on a Saturday night. Matacumbie and BCGray you guys are the greatest. I really should have just come here first and asked - which is most definitely something that I’m going to have to make a habit of in the future.

Good Luck!

9. shanrene123

shanrene123 Private First Class

Did you say that you have solved your problem yet? I've had this same problem with Word 2000. Here's how I fixed it: Open an empty Word document. In the menu bar, click on "Tools", then scroll down & click on "Options", then click on the "Edit" tab. Uncheck the box "Overwrite mode". That should fix your problem. This might be set as the "default" options for your version of Word or else it has unknowingly been changed at some point. Let us know if this works. Good luck! :)Shanrene

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds