typical length?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ReBar, May 7, 2013.

1. ReBar

ReBar I can't follow the rules

i have google set to display 10 results/page; this usually works just fine.

but then when i google the following, i get 2!

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&q=mozart+"symphony+41"+"typical+length"&btnG=

are others seeing that?!

moreover, nothing particularly useful in either of the results shown. those very search terms used to yield dozens and dozens of hits (mostly CD reviews) clearly quoting "...typical length of a performance is..." yadda yadda pertinent information.

now i'm not sure HOW to google it up.

is "typical length" some sort of magical phrase which triggers google to play with its parameters?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

If there are less than the set amount of results to show, as is the case here, then you will see all they have. Google has 2 results based on your query.

Instead of:

Code:
    mozart "symphony 41" "typical length"
    drop the quotes and try this:

Code:
    mozart symphony 41 typical length
    You will see About 1,290,000 results.

The use of quotes can be helpful in refining a search, sometimes a hinderance. Maybe just quote one of the terms you are using instead of two...

3. ReBar

ReBar I can't follow the rules

that's not it. i mean, i know all that, but there's something more going on.

try it with quotes just on the second half:

http://www.google.com/search?output...ength"&oq=mozart+symphony+41+"typical+length"

if there's pages and pages of "similar searches" to come, then why is it chopping off the list at #2? not the top section, but down bottom -- shouldn't that have at least 8 results there before spilling to page 2?

page 2, fwiw, has a full set of 10 results. so why this 2+2 on page 1?

:confused

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

It appears that the search term, so constructed, yields 2 hits and 495 "similar" hits. Why does Google choose to display the results in the manner in which they do? Dunno, only the Oompa-Loompas at the Chocolate Factory would know for sure.

I'm confident that your machine and browser are resolving Google in the manner in which they intend, you may wish to fire off an interrogative to them and ask about this at this link:

Google Contact Page

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds