U torrent port

Discussion in 'Software' started by huntingdog0, Jun 28, 2008.

1. huntingdog0

huntingdog0 Private First Class

i believe somone told me that the port is what slows down downloading so i tested it and it said it was not open so how do you open it so you can make the download go faster?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're using a router, the port in the router must be forwarded for exclusive use by uTorrent. You must make sure that uTorrent is not set to randomize the port; it must be configured to use the same port each time. To learn how to forward a port in your router, visit http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and locate your router in the list. Then follow the directions carefully for forwarding the port. You'll need to assign an IP address also; this info can also be found at the PortForward web site. It's all pretty easy if you're patient and read through everything once or twice before you actually make the changes. To check that randomize is disabled in uTorrent, launch uTorrent, click Options > Preferences > Connection and be sure the box next to "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts" is not checked. Make a note of the port listed in the port box, you'll need it later when configuring your router.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

[dlb]
    :major

(About 18 months ago, I had dismal download speeds with uTorrent; like around 20-30k. Then I found out how to set up the port forwarding and the speeds immediately went up to over 500k in some cases. The speeds will depends on many factors, like how many seeds/leeches are on a file, the seed/leeches upload and download speeds, network traffic, and your ISP may even throttle traffic, but forwarding the port will definitely help.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds