U3 USB Memory sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbazza, Mar 18, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

3. bigbazza

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, they have special partition which is recognized by Windows as a CD drive. This allows the U3 Launchpad to open as though it were an application on a CD starting via auto-run. In other words, My Computer will show two more drives when a U3 drive is connected, one being the small partition recognized as a CD drive and the other a removable disk, the normal situation for a flash drive.

5. bigbazza

Thanks for the info, usafveteran. :cool
    Now all I have to do is find them in one of my local computer stores. :D
    Bazza

===

6. MJames23

MJames23 Private First Class

I have two of them. Yes, the U3 software allows you to set a password to access the data on the flash. You can also delete the U3 software if you want from within the U3 menu so that you are left with only a flash drive. I did this on one of mine, and on the other I kept the software so that I could have password protection.

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

8. bigbazza

Thanks MJames23 and viper_boy403 for the link and additional info. :major
    I was particularly interested in the password protection bit.
    The first USB stick I purchased (256megs) came with software to set up password protection. None of the others I have purchased since (up to 2 gigs) have had that feature. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds