UAC, Win7, and MBAM updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I just realized that my paid version of MBAM is not auto updating as it should (yes, it's enabled and set for 7pm) on my new install of Win7x64 Home Premium. I just did a manual update just 'for fun' and noticed that I was about 20 versions behind on the definition database. I'm pretty sure that UAC is blocking the update. How do I configure it to allow the updates? AntiVir (the free version) is updating OK.... I know I could completely disable UAC, but that isn't what I really want to do.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Nothing? :confused

I don't want to disable UAC in order to get MBAM updates, as it seems a bit contradictory to turn off one level of protection in order to obtain another level of protection. I can manually update MBAM daily (which I'll do for the time being), but, knowing me and my wonderful memory (note the sarcasm LOL ), I'm sure I'll forget on a regular basis. I thought there was a way to create UAC exceptions, similar to how you'd set up a firewall. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

[dlb]

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

UAC will automatically ask you for permission to run a service or program, it should not just block it straight away.

Exceptions for the UAC would not work as the program would not store the administrator password and thus would not have the required permission level to operate.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah- that's the problem. If I'm not around when MBAM tries to update, it won't update unless I click on the UAC 'OK' button. I have temporarily disabled UAC for now, and I'll be headed over to the MBAM forum to see if they can shed some light on it.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds