Uage of the anti-static wriststrap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrynnlX, Oct 20, 2006.

1. DrynnlX

DrynnlX Private E-2

How exactly do you use one of these?

I've been using mine by wearing the wriststrap and attaching the croc clip to my chasis and that's it, but a book I was reading said I should have the power cable still in the PC but turned off ath the wall because the earth wire will stil be live.

Could somebody please clarify on exactly how this should be used.

Thank You.

2. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

The book advice mostly applies to (older) AT computer systems; the newer ATX motherboards have power applied ALL the time the system is plugged in, even when the PSU is shut off, so do NOT leave the power cord plugged in. Either unplug it at the wall, or unplug it from the PSU; I prefer to unplug the cord at the PSU, because it makes it easier to move the system to another part of my workbench.

Hope this answers your question...

3. DrynnlX

DrynnlX Private E-2

Yes, it does thanks. And BTW - the book is quite old, forgot to mention that :p

4. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. The mention of the wrist strap makes me think you are about to try to add memory to your pc. I don't bother with a wrist strap for any of that stuff. I set the unplugged pc on the top of the stove (cold, of course), and open the case. Then, without moving my feet anymore until I am done, I lay my hands on top of the stove for 10-15 seconds to drain any static off my body, then go to it. I have added memory and changed cards, even assembled an entire pc in this way with no probs. For extra safety, you may flip off the circuit breaker or pull the fuses for the stove before beginning. The reason for using the stove is that, here in the US, the metal stove frame has a connection back to the ground point at the service via the neutral wire in the stove. Also, the top is reasonably flat, and you should have counter space around the stove for tools and other stuff. Good night and good luck, and always power down everything first.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I see your in UK same as me.. I always do work by the kitchen sink have a work bench/table and croc connection goes to tap as all UK kitchen sink taps are well earthed, of course make sure taps are well off before moving rig to area :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds