Ubuntu 10.10, Thumbs up?

Discussion in 'Software' started by the mekanic, Jan 8, 2011.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Anyone out there tried the new Ubuntu yet?

How do you like it if you have, and what did you install it on?

Is the netbook version good?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I only use Linux on Live CD or most recently I keep it on USB thumb drive, using persistence, so I can add/remove programs, store bookmarks etc.

I know Ubuntu is the go to Linux distribution but I still prefer Linux Mint. As a Windows user I just find Linux Mint to work the way I want/need it to with the least amount of input from the user. I can read/figure out Linux commands when necessary but just find Linux Mint a better distribution for me.

Putting a Live CD Iso on USB is easy using LinuxLiveCreator, give persistence at least 500mb so you can store updates and installed software. You can try out several distributions of Linux and find one you like best. I haven't gone through the list of distributions in a few months and am curious if you prefer a particular distribution besides Ubuntu or Mint. :)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

LinuxMint and Pinguy are my preferred distros because most everything just works ootb (out of the box).

4. sach2

Thanks for the heads up to Pinguy. I've never seen that distro before.

I've really wanted to like Ubuntu but I find it a bit glitchy on some machines. I always go back to Mint because as you said, it just works.

I'm downloading Pinguy now to compare to Mint. It definitely looks a bit more stylish than Mint. :)

5. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i think its a bit odd that all these ubuntu spin-offs work 'out of the box' yet ubuntu itself doesn't:confused:confused:confused

anyway, i myself prefer redhat based systems,
    good one to try that works 'out of the box' is pclinuxos

i prefer kde, so here's a link

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180

and for the usb-ers

6. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I've got Ubuntu & Mint on several boxes at home, and I've played with a bunch of distros in VMs. Although I consider myself a debian/Gnome guy, PCLinuxOS was a VERY NICE and impressive rpm/KDE desktop. If I had found it before my preferences were formed, I'd probably be using it right now. In fact, if I ever switch to a KDE desktop, PCLOS is at the top of the list, right above Mandriva and Kubuntu. Good call Hawk!

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

It is odd indeed that downstream they work better, but Ubuntu releases unstable and sometimes with backports enabled, it stays unstable. Others are stable because they wait 2 months to release.

I had Kubuntu and found errors "with Gnome" seems FF is Gnome-native in Ubuntu and Kubuntu wanted to update drivers without permission on the gnome side. It created some bugs so I moved to the Orange instead of Blue. I preferred Green over Purple for stability far and above. ;)

8. sach2

Thanks, I liked kde, as well (or at least that was my impression when I actually had Linux installed--prebroadband. I like Corel Linux over RedHat but never delved too deeply into either.) I'll give pclinuxos a try.

On Pinguy versus Linux Mint I still prefer Mint. Simply works. Easy to install the programs you choose while not including programs you do not want.

9. ichase

ichase Corporal

I personally prefere Mandriva above all. It's what I cut my teeth on, and there is the comfort value there. But as far as Ubuntu spin offs. I have Ultimate Edition 2.8 and Pinguy 10.10 installed and I am pretty impressed with both of them. :) I agree with plodr in regards to them working really well ootb. :)

Ian

10. durian22

durian22 Private E-2

i have ubuntu meerkat running on my fujitsu laptop, i rarely log in to windows these days.

i installed it as dual boot alongside win7. i do like win7 but now i am an ubuntu user finding my way round. the install was easy, everything worked out of the box except the switch to turn the wireless on and off. thats a small price to pay imo to get away from micrisoft.

11. telomere

telomere Private E-2

I have tried maverick n am using natty narwhal alongside win7 now. Maverick is really good.Since Natty is not officially released(I have the alpha version), it has some bugs . But from what I heard, beta version of natty is good. I am trying to reinstall natty after it is officially released.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds