Ubuntu 13.04 sync with smartphone HTC EVO 4G

Discussion in 'Software' started by kamkar1, May 29, 2013.

1. kamkar1

kamkar1 Private E-2

Hi
    I have ubuntu 13.04 installed on laptop HP6910P. I like to sync my smartphone (HTC EVO 4G) with the laptop.

I found very little on net so far, with exception that HTC runs MTP and I can not mount the phone. Have you ever dealt with this issue?

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

3. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Not sure I'm going to be much help on this one, other than to state that I have an HTC EVO 3g that I use as a dedicated Android MP3 player and Ubuntu 12.04. It "just works" for me. I did nothing special. I plugged the EVO into a usb cable, a message popped up regarding an MTP device and whether I wanted to open with a music player (MTP), image viewer (DCIM), or just browse folders.

We're both using Ubuntu (12.04 vs. 13.04) and both using HTC EVOs. I can't imagine the differences in Ubuntu versions, so let's focus on the EVOs. As a dedicated Android MP3 player, I put the device in airplane mode to shut down cell radio services and extend battery life (can't imagine that's a mount problem). I put a 64GB Class 10 micro sd card in the EVO. I needed 64GB to accommodate my music collection and Class 10 was the fastest data transfer available at the time for sd cards. I put the card in the EVO to let Android format the card to its liking (an android variation of FAT, if I recall correctly), plugged into a usb cable and I regularly sync with Banshee and Rhythmbox.

I can't imagine the HTC hardware is the issue, so let's focus on the sd card. What card do you have? Make, size, and Class? Did YOU format the card with a card reader, or did you let Android format the card? If you remove the card from the EVO, will Ubuntu automount the EVO?

4. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I just hooked up my EVO to sync some new music with Banshee music player and have some additional tips to check out.

You don't say what type of data you "like to sync your smartphone...with the laptop". Inasmuch as you reference Media Transport Protocol (MTP), I'm assuming music, videos, photos, etc... After checking the sd card (previously posted), allowing Android to format the way it wants, etc..., plug a usb cable from your laptop to the EVO.

The EVO should present a screen for usb connection to pc with 4 choices:

1. Charge Only
    2. HTC Sync
    3. Disk Drive
    4. USB Tethering

In order to mount the EVO, you MUST choose "Disk Drive - Mount as Disk Drive" in order for Ubuntu to recognize the device and mount it. Is it possible you have one of the other choices set as a default action, rather than "Disk Drive"? Is it possible the usb cable is not completely connected to the computer? Is it possible the usb cable is faulty and needs replaced? Do you have another device, or cell phone, that will connect and mount to Ubuntu 13.04 using that same usb cable?

Sorry if those questions sound condescending, but I've never had a problem with the HTC EVO mounting on Ubuntu 12.04. It worked from day 1. I've got to believe this issue can be traced to a simple setting somewhere, that has gone awry.

I can't speak to Ubuntu 13.04, but 12.04 mounts the EVO just fine...if that helps at all. Keep us posted, if you don't mind...I'm curious as to what the solution is?!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds