Ubuntu 6.06 Read-only filesystem? HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Curse my Linux inabilities!

Have a Dapper Drake box that started giving errors citing a read-only filesystem. (I was trying to write files to /usr/local/var). I tried changing permissions, but that failed with the same error. I restarted the machine, and it now won't boot, failing on loading GRUB.

Research is telling me that I should be running FSCK.
    So, I've booted to the live OS, and am trying to run it, but I'm not so confident in my knowledge of the filesystem and partitions.

I do believe that my root partition is on /dev/hda1, but that's not in fstab. Therefore, it's causing problems running FSCK... either it says the device isn't listed, or I get a mount: operation not implemented error.

Can anyone advise?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

UPDATE:

I am currently downloading the alternate install CD for Dapper Drake, in order to try restoring GRUB

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Scratch it... the HDD is just toast.

Dammit Maxtor! They're batting 1000 for HDD failures around here... I haven't seen ANY other brand fail since starting to work here.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Why install Drake, when Edgy is stable with over 6 months behind it now?

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Machine was built months ago.

Also:

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

I forgot about LTS-

did you solve the read only side of your HD?

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yup! Gave 'er the old re and re.

Removed and Replaced, that is...with a shiny new seagate drive.

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

I can tell you from my experience Feisty is NOT ready to be installed. Breezy or Edgy for sure is the option here to recommend. :major

Takes about 20 mins to install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds