Ubuntu 7.10 - Blank screen after login user/password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Norcalsteve22, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Norcalsteve22

Norcalsteve22 Private E-2

I am new to Linux, and i am having problems after the install. After running the Ubuntu Live CD and liking it, due to its compatibility with my hardware, i decided to full install, no dual boot, kiss windows goodbye!! when the computer restarts and all is good, its time for the 186 updates to download and install. but when it is time to reboot yet again, it comes up, i put in my user name and password, then it is stuck on a "yellowish" screen, and all that works is a mouse curser. I also notice after slamming my keyboard keys in a fit of rage (after 10 minutes of nothing, but losing patience), i can put the computer to sleep with some order of a key command... and hitting the space bar wakes it up. so i do see that keyboard short cuts still work (well, "button mashing" at least) would anyone know if this is a video problem? or some bug like a screen saver, or just plain madness and incompatibility with new software updates on the system?

2. nilsA

nilsA Private E-2

Maybe this is a broken package during upgrade. What you need to do is start in safe mode from GRUB and/or at the graphical log-in go to the little menu on one side, and choose log in to command line.

When you get the command line, log in to your account.

Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install
    Look carefully for error messages. There may be some dpkg to repair. It most probably will say what to do. Then do that, and repeat the above until nothing is left (0 packages found).

Now, try startX

If you are lucky, things will be fine.

If not, go back to the command line:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. 
    Don't be tempted to let it find the graphics card and monitor by itself. Choose to select yourself.

My guess is that, if you are at that level, you have an ATI card or a NVIDIA (the graphics chip, not necessarily the name of the card.)

The safest option is to go for nv or ati, as what the install program chose most probably was wrong.

Then, when you come to monitor, depending on your knowledge of the monitor, choose simple or expert/advanced. (advanced only if you know the horizontal and vertical refresh rate!)

Choose a resolution lower than you wand, and a refresh rate well into what you are sure your monitor can do. 1024x768@60 HZ or 1280x1024@60HZ are safe (if you don't have a widescreen monitor. Don't at this stage be tempted to let the installer find your screen, as that may be another reason for your problems.

Now you should be able to log in, and reset the graphics and monitor from within KDE. It's not fail-safe, but now you know how to fix it if (or when) things go bad. Just repeat this, and go on.

When everything is ok, open the console window and do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    (It will remove surplus files due to installing problems.)

3. Norcalsteve22

Norcalsteve22 Private E-2

Thank you, i actually didnt have to do any of that because it was like you said, a broke install, but in the time i wrote that, and got your reply now, i have tried a new install. Works great! i did how ever write down those commands. i am still searching the net for SUDO and general Terminal commands and how to use them. installing packages that are tar and not .deb are real foreign to me. is there a good link you can post that has good tutorials for learning how to get about "Terminal" and installing apps through that, and SUDO?

thanks again...

4. nilsA

nilsA Private E-2

The kubuntu forum is very helpful for most things. have a look at the sticky questions at the top of the Help the new guy options - many of the tricks are there.

Code:
    sudo
    will make you the "superuser" or /root. Needed for major change and install. A better alternative when you are inside the graphical interface is
    Code:
    kdesu
    - you use it at the equivalent of Start -> Run in Windows. (I write this on one of my Windows only PCs). For instance
    Code:
    kdesu kate
    will give you access to edit config files. Lots of fun - and possibilities to f*** up things.:D

The coolest trick I have found to do with this command:

In the file

Code:
    /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
    opened in kate,

you can locate these lines near the bottom:

Code:
    ServerArgsLocal= -nolisten tcp 
    and a few lines down:

Code:
    ServerCad= /usr/bin/X -br
    By adding

Code:
     -dpi 72
    or some number typically between 70 and 100, you can set the size that things will be shown on the desktop. I use it for setting so that the size of my normal font 100% in OpenOffice is just the size I want.

This way I can use a memory stick or my network for my files, and never have to change the "View percentage" when I go from my 1600x1200 desktop monitor to my 1024x768 laptop. :cool

Kubuntu is great fun, very good at a lot of things. Included now and then to break down so you really need a specialized user forum.

This forum is very great - but obviously cannot bring the details of the more specialized. Some of these are rather unfriendly to newcomers - the Kubuntu forum is just as friendly as this. They complement each other in a great way.

5. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

A brave statement, but I think you're getting ahead of yourself and trying to run before you can walk.

There's no doubt Linux can be a viable replacement to Windows, but there's quite a steep learning curve to overcome first, and you're basing your decision after only seeing one 'distro' There are many other 'live' CD's you can (and should) try first before deciding the over hyped Ubuntu is the answer to all your prayers.

You will have many frustrations with Linux, and I fear for the safety of your keyboard to be honest rolleyes I've been using Linux for about 6 years and I wouldn't consider myself anything near expert status, although obviously there's very few problems I can't overcome now.

I'd stick to dual booting with Windows first, if I was you. You can still use Linux as your main choice - and to prove you can live without Windows, try booting and using Linux exclusively for a week without running back to Windows to solve something. In fact just try two days as an initial step.

Once you've learnt how to surf, email, burn CD's and do everything you would do in Windows, then you're a step nearer to throwing off the Microsoft shackles - if that's what you really want.

PClinuxOS is one of the obvious alternatives to *buntu. Other less well known choices are Pardus and Parsix, both of which I rate as good beginner 'distros'
    and perhaps the ultimate newbie distro - Xandros. Although this is install only and one of the few commercial versions. There is a free OCE (Open Circulation Edition) but it's very hard to find because Xandros would prefer you buy it, or use the trial version prior to buying it anyway. There is a Xandros 4 OCE version floating round the web though. It's an 885 MB ISO if you want to do some detective work. And your first challenge is getting an 885 MB ISO to fit on a 700 MB CD !

6. nilsA

nilsA Private E-2

If the PC is a simple, basic 1 IDE (or SCSI) hard disk, and (same type) CD/DVD ROM/burner and one of the "good" graphics chips - I see no reason Kubuntu should be difficult. One of my Kubuntu PCs (Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook laptop) just installed, found everything (included the WIFI - that may be a challenge), and has run happily ever after, updating itself and not getting into any mischief.

On some of my other PCs, though, I like to experiment ... and has done quite a bit of messing up. Scanners can be a problem - read and check before buying. Most printers will work - but may be a little more challenging to install the first time.

Over the years I have tried a lot of the distro's - but got stuck on Kubuntu as the first I really could use for practical purposes. One KDE is simple to use for one coming from Windows. Two - the help forum is much better than any I have been trying to use. And, for us who are not living by this, the help forum is the major asset.

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

mikkh-

BAH! I took the plunge 3 yrs ago and now I cannot remember the last time I even accessed my XP drive. (I did set up dual boot but never even go there). In Kubuntu Breezy, the curve was large, but the last version even found my NVidia GeForce card and installed the drivers with two clicks.

KDE 4 is stable now too.

8. jerrypan

jerrypan Private E-2

Hi,

i have the same problem. However, I could not access "apt-get". This command is no longer there. how?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Give your error, because apt-get is definately there, unless you have a failed installation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds