Ubuntu and program acess defaults

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grimmer, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Heres a n00b question for ya:
    Where can I switch the default aplications in ubuntu? I got the xine movie player installed and I want to be able to use that instead of totem, but I can't figure out how I can set xine to be the default player when I open movie files off the net like .wmv files and such. Also does anyone know of any cool sites out there that would be helpful in making the transition from win xp to ubuntu? Preferably something dumbed down that a n00b is able to understand.

Thx for the help,

Grimmer

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Grimmer, have you read the official Ubuntu Wiki articles on www.ubuntu.com?

Post again if you cannot find the specifics on how to set your preferences.

3. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

after spending about 2 hours of searching I still can't find what I'm looking for, could you please explain how to set program access defaults in ubuntu ty.

Jason

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I don't have a lot of experience with xine, but I have a vague memory (from when I was playing around with a bunch of media players) of something in that player's preferences that lets you set it as the default player.

Have you tried Absolute Beginner Talk at ubuntuforums.org?

/Mimsy

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I am sorry not to have gotten back with you.

preferences->content->file types

And Beginner Talk would help you here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds