Ubuntu problems w/Firefox and Opera

Discussion in 'Software' started by wolfpackmom, Feb 15, 2012.

1. wolfpackmom

wolfpackmom Private E-2

Aloha dear geekoids,

My Ubuntu has recently stopped loading .org sites, a few .nets & .coms. (rare) on both Firefox and Opera. I ran all standard troubleshooting protocols, including restarting Firefox in safe mode, checking add-ons, plug-ins, security settings, proxies and yes, I cleared the cache first! Problem persists...

... in fact that's why I'm here, as you are .com - can't even talk to Mozilla, Linux or Malware Bytes/AVG .org sites!

My PC is partitioned w/Win-7 on the other side - no problems in W-7.

Any ideas? I understand that both Firefox and lately Linux are now experiencing attacks, viruses, trojans, worms, etc. - I have not obtained the skill to track these yet. I prefer Linux for the internet for obvious reasons and did not expect this :confused

Thank you in advance -

Frustrated, wolfpackmom

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Hello wolfpackmom-

What version of 'buntu are you using?

Did you try update for FF?

Do you have ipv6 disabled in FF?

Can you open sites using the live cd?

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

4. wolfpackmom

wolfpackmom Private E-2

Thanks BoredOutOfMyMind (BOOMM),

I have the prior version of Ubuntu; was waiting for latest to run for months for reviews.

FF was updated... ipv6 is disabled. No luck on live CD. Un&Reinstall FF next. Curious: Since Opera has same problem, looks like the OS has a virus?

Ubuntu offers me Gnome updates almost daily - yet I haven't seen those you reference re: .org. Trick is I can't get to Ubuntu or turingmachine.org - catch22.

Heads up - I am not an IT geek, so patience with my baby steps will appreciated! -WPM

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

Hi Wolfpackmom

Baby steps are good.

Ubuntu runs a bit towards being unstable when it is released and so the prior version is always safer than cutting edge. Also, there are few Linux virus.

;)

We need to open a Terminal and type the following-

Code:
    mv .mozilla/ .mozilla.old/ 
    This will restart firefox with all bookmarks and plugins disabled.

Next we will disable the globalmenubar.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-globalmenu
    From the terminal, type
    Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    (do not close the terminal). Try to load the trouble sites and then alt-tab back to terminal to see if there are any errors.

:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. wolfpackmom

wolfpackmom Private E-2

Thanks BOOMM,

Will do. If fails will re-contact forum using Opera. If that fails will re-contact through W-7, which is perfectly happy [weird].

FYI, FF & Opera are now ignoring .net, .info and .gov. BIZARRE. I know Linux doesn't usually get viruses [that's why I have it], however I can't figure this out.

My Ubuntu updates just gave me an FF update 2 days ago - did it - no luck. Same update posted to W-7 - no probs.

TYVM for your help. Woof! - WPM

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

wolfpackmom, if you have a "live cd" that you can use while booting, and if the "live cd" allows you to use FF, it is in your configuration somewhere. Since you are new, you can always perform the "ultimate solution" and simply reinstall again, overwriting and ignoring the settings you have setup.

When you have 2 or 3 years of files, it is a bit more challenging to install clean.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds