ubuntu software question.

Discussion in 'Software' started by tym, Nov 7, 2008.

1. tym

tym Corporal

I am missing something simple. I have been trying to install opera from the add remove programs. I pick all avalible software.

Hunt and look for opera but no luck. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

What version of Ubuntu are you using? What errors do you get when you open terminal and enter

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install opera

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OperaBrowser

3. bill3333

bill3333 Private E-2

:)Guday, :wave:drink TO INSTALL OPERA:drink

1 :coolDon't, for best usability, use :heartFirefox and :heartThunderbird, because they are fully functioned, and supported with lots of addons, that are not available to other programs. Opera is very fast and good, but is very striped down, and the email is only done on a web email basis, so you use heaps of data, and it is very slow and inconvenient, compared to an in computer email client like Thunderbird.

2 :droolInstall addon Dowthemall to Firefox, read it up, and you will see what I mean. It is a built in download manager, so it functions brilliantly; I learn't it in 10 mins, and downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 700 MB in 9 mins 27 sec. It is available to no other browser, and the most important aspect for a browser.

3 :yumTake at least 3 hours to learn each program, list chosen addons, compare for conflict, and compatibility to your version, then install. You will be surprised when you do this, as there are some amazing addons.

4 :heartTo install, Add/remove programs is the wrong place, that's your problem. Go to Synaptic Package manager, and read up on using it, as its to complicated for me to explain, but the magic tricks are :-

A :coolThunderbird, Firefox, and Opera, all come in different flavors, like languages, versions, etc, so go through everything carefully. Yes it is tedious, and time consuming, but YOU MUST DO THIS RIGHT.

B :pDon't install addons in Synaptic, because the programs themselves do a better job of it.

C:zzzSUPER MAGIC TRICK : Fox, Bird, and Opera have a " Meta Package " that is the installation manager, set that to install, and it will do everything for you. Only then look for anything else you need. It took me 4 hours to understand Synaptic, but it is good and comprehensive.

D:-DFox and Bird are both built by Mozilla, so are designed to work happily together.

ErolleyesI find setting Fox and Bird to boot on start up most convenient, because I can walk away, do whatever, and return to have all my emails downloaded, and Fox ready to use.

:cryNow you've got some hard work, but some more advice.
    :coolI run a duel boot system, with XP SP2 as my main OS, because Linux still appear to be sorting Ubuntu out, therefore, although XP has its vagaries, it is reliable. Also when I compare the speed of Fox Ub to Fox Xp, I discovered Fox Ub to be 10 to 20 times slower than Fox Xp, constituting a big disaster, so V8.04.1 and V8.10 are only used as a novelty. :dancerPlease let me know how you get on in this respect.

Regards Bill3333

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

bill3333, I have used Opera on Ubuntu and actually liked it better.....

I am used to Mozilla FF And I use 3.0.4 right now.
    I liked Claws for mail much better than Thunderbird.

5. bill3333

bill3333 Private E-2

Dear Bored out of my mind,

Do you think you should have shown gratitude, in thanking me for spending an hour of my time, giving you some very valuable advice. Please think carefully, before sending emails to me, because I don't think you realize what you said in your above posting, and please make them of substance.

Regards Bill3333

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

The question was HOW to install Opera on Ubuntu.
    I have never emailed you bill3333, your reply baffles me?

:confused

The attached screenshot shows that Opera is installable on Ubuntu by enabling the archive.canonical.com/partner repository

Attached Files:

7. bill3333

bill3333 Private E-2

:)Sorry, Bored out of my Mind,:drool

rolleyesit was Tym who posed the Question, and you explained the Terminal method, and then suggested an alternative to me, of Fox + Claws. I'm new to Major Geeks, and didn't understand the page setups, but have been badly smart arsed before, and the worst I ever saw was Stephanie Roger's Tune XP Tutorial. I find people make quick one line comments, so without adequate explanation, they are superfluous, as I am only a novice, who's learn't some fancy tricks from an expert.

:majorI dual boot with XP SP2 and Ubuntu 8.10, and find Foxxp is 20 times faster than Foxtu, any thoughts ????

:confusedAlso any thoughts on my getting Autopatcher discs for SP3, and SP3 to date, as I can't understand all the funny words on the site ???. My expert friend who built them for me has gone traveling. I am in Auckland, New Zealand, where are you ?.

:coolRegards Bill

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

bill3333-

Speed up Firefox

You will need to ask for help with XP disks in the Software section. MajorGeeks will not help if you do not have legit legal XP install disks.

9. bill3333

bill3333 Private E-2

:)Many thanks Bored out of my mind, Bill3333

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds