Ultimate Troubleshooter Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by catlady, May 24, 2005.

1. catlady

catlady Private E-2

I recently purchased "Ultimate Troubleshooter" by "Answers That Work". After installation of the program on my computer, I got a windows message titled "Windows File Protection" it stated that Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the origional version of the these files. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

I did not insert the CD as advised by windows, I just closed the pop up box. I then started having problems with my computer. Neither if my two web browsers would work properly and I also had problems with my email program which is Outlook Express. I had do several system restores before I could get my computer to work correctly.

I emailed "Answers That Work" about the problem on May 6th and to this day they still have not answered me back. I have now requested a refund for the product, and guess what, they haven't answered back on that either. Dummy me, learned my lesson the hard way on checking out trial version before buying outright.

I'm really P**** Offed to put it mildly about "Answers That Work" no response attitude.

My question is 1. Has anyone else had a problem with this software?
    2. Does anyone know why I got that windows pop up
    message and why did my computer mess up?

My browsers "Firefox and Explorer" would not find web pages that I requested. My email would not open.
    I have a Dell 8300, 2.6 gig Pentium 4, 120 gig hard drive, 256 memory. Hope thats enough info for you.

Thanks for any input on the matter.

2. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

If you have your windows CD, try running system file checker:

start > run > type "SFC /scannow" without the quotation marks. Perhaps windows will detect the files that have been changed and replace them. Hope this helps!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Right clikc My computer, go to manage.

Under event viewer, click on system.

Look for an entry with the source of Windows File Protection. Double click it to open, and see what file is listed in the information.

4. Mississippimud

Mississippimud Private E-2

i have been using the Ultimate Troubleshooter for over a year now with no problems till this past Saturday. i sent an email to support and received an answer back by Sunday evening. are you sure you sent to the correct address ? i used "product.Support@AnswersThatWork.com"

on a side note if you are running XP pro on 256megs of ram you are very under resourced.

5. catlady

catlady Private E-2

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the advice.

Mississippimud, I know that the email address is correct because when I was having trouble downloading the program, they emailed me back the same day. Yes, I know I need more memory. I have been saving up to buy it. I plan to get another 256 megs as soon as possible. I think that should probably be enough.

Adrynalyne, I checked the system under event viewer like you said and I found this: "The protected system file C:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating use the SFC utility to verify the integerity of the file at a later time."
    I don't know how to use the SFC utility, in fact I don't even know what it is. Of course I'm always interested in learning more about my computer. I consider myself fairly computer savvy but I'm certainly not in the advanced group of computer knowlege.

Capn_caveman, I haven't tried your suggestion yet because I think I might have fixed the problem with the last system recovery I did. I had to do about 3 or 4 system recovers before I get my computer to work right again. If I do use the Windows CD I'll let you know the results.

Whats really frustrating is that "Answers That Work" won't respond to me. I would be glad to keep their program if they would just explain what happened to my computer and get their software to run smoothly on my computer.

Thanks guys for all the info so far!

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

SFC is an acronym for System File Checker, which is basically what capn_caveman suggested in the command sfc /scannow

HERE and HERE are a couple of sites that explain it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds