Ultrabook with Gaming Specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalhecht, Apr 19, 2013.

1. digitalhecht

digitalhecht Private E-2

Greetings Fellow Geeks,
    I have a great Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01U, which gets used mostly for gaming. While it slices through Crysis and other GPU killers at max settings like a champ, the 8 lb + weight is beginning to feel like the proverbial albatross around my neck. Like a Linus blanket, I haul it to work everyday, rarely using it except for rare plugins/apps that my employer doesn't have. (I am a multimedia professional.) I see that there is a slow trickle of (much lighter) ultrabooks coming out with close to gaming rig specs. Generally, they are short of 4-8 GB of RAM and lack a discrete GPU. Any opinions, speculation as to when we can expect a quad core gaming rig (with a discrete GPU,e.g. 2GB) in an ultrabook form factor? (Is a discrete 2 GB GPU even possible in this form factor?) I am seriously considering selling it and sating my game jones on my desktop until something more lap-friendly comes out. Many thanks in advance for your input!
    Ed

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might want to take a look here.

3. digitalhecht

digitalhecht Private E-2

Thanks for the link, mdonah. As I suspected, none of the featured items fit my needs. The Dell XPS 14 has the strongest specs in terms of power. But according to the spec sheet, it weighs 8 lbs (!). Not sure if there's an unspoken weight limit for ultrabooks... And not one of them is configured with more than 8 GB of RAM. Looks like I am asking too much at this point:
    Core i7 1.9 GHz or more
    16 GB RAM
    750 GB HDD
    Discrete GPU (Nvidia or AMD) 1.5-2 GB VRAM
    Less than 5 lbs (?)
    Bottom line is, I need a gaming ultrabook that doubles as a video editor (or vice versa)...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds