Un-defaulting a program when I want another as default

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stack, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Stack

Stack Private E-2

Hello.
    I've been using WinAmp for some time, on XP.
    I upgraded my Nero program and now the nero mp3 player is the default.
    How do I un default Nero and make Winamp my player of choice?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Stack

Stack Private E-2

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate the help.

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Its importanat for you to remember this so that when you install Nero the next time, you don't just blindly let it steal all your associations. If you want, what you can do is to right click any mp3 file and then select open with but select "Choose Program" instead of a single choice. You will then have the opportunity to scroll to the WinAmp exe file or select it from the list, choose it and then put a check mark in always use this, and your association to WinAmp will return and your icons will change back. You will still have Nero in your right click "open with" incase you want to open an mp3 with Nero later but the main program will be WinAmp.

Its not always easy to find file associations in music software, they don't like to give up there associations without a fight. I remember how bad Real Player was about just up and stealing associations out of the blue, and if you uninstalled it, as soon as you logged onto AOL, it would say "the software you requested is being installed" and it would reinstall it and steal all your associations again.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds