Unable to access a specific website

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lokepy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

hi,
    I'm having the same problem & can't load up facebook login page
    having this 'static.ak.fbcdn.net'
    does anyone know what the solution is?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

open command prompt: start - run - type cmd - hit enter
    type ipconfig/flushdns - hit enter
    give the site a try after that

3. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried that but the reply came back that the requested operation requires elevation.
    I tried loading facebook and it still can't work.

Lydia

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

the requested operation requires elevation is something in vista which makes it so a user cant run programs in cmd without admin rights. easy way around this is to find where command prompt actually is and run it as administrator. just have to right click command prompts and runas administrator.

http://www.home-network-help.com/requires-elevation.html

once you do that, give the ipconfig/flushdns a try again.

5. Gumtree999

Gumtree999 Private E-2

Hey there... I am having this problem with facebook and I've just tried the flushdns but still no luck... it just keeps coming up with "transferring data from static.ak.fbcdn.net"..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

6. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

I manged to flushdns but it didn't fix the problem .
    it still has that static... come up and the page still doesn't load

7. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

:p heres the thread i was looking for... i posted all this in the wrong thread somehow... anyway...

i dont know why thats happening, but we can get around that easily. it wont fix the specific problem, but itll get you to facebook.

windows has a file called a hosts file. this file acts as a type of "secondary dns" server. you can edit this file with the ip of facebook and basically allow your to use any www.whatever.com to get there. now i assume you have vista because ive never seen the requires elevation on xp. youll need admin rights to do this and it is completely safe to do.

go start - programs - accessories - right click notepad and click run as admin. if you get prompted for a password, type it in or click allow.

youll open the hosts file from here, since vista wont let you edit it without admin rights.

the file is usually in this path on xp, you might have to run a search on vista if its not here. C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc youre looking for a file called hosts. navigate that path in notepads 'open' and open hosts

when you open hosts in notepad, youll see some stuff already in there "commented out" with a # sign. that means whatever is after that # sign will be disregarded. what you should see without a # sign is something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

under that youll put the ip and address of facebook. itll look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    69.63.176.143 www.facebook.com

the 69.blahblah is facebooks IP address. once you do that, save the file and retry www.facebook.com. i tested this with facebooks ip and a generic www.generic.com and it worked fine. i should expect this to work for you, but again this is just getting around the problem, it isnt fixing it.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which browser is being used?

Have you reset, turned on off your modem?

Some reports are cropping up on Facebooks developer forum that the url is being flagged as a phishing attack and blocked, could be something and nothing, but more are seeing this, Googles Chrome browsers antiphishing is major one. So if your browser has anti phishing built in disable it to test.

9. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Did you move this thread Halo? I wasnt the original poster of this.

10. DavidGP

I did but the other posts where above yours, weird things!

11. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

I almost did it but it wouldn't let me save.
    says to check the file name and path

12. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

i'm using firefox, but i've downloaded opera, google chrome and IE... they all don't work...
    as for disabling anti phishing, is that done through internet options? I've sorta tried that, it doesn't work either

13. DavidGP

Hi

In IE yes its Tools > Phishing Filter > Turn off
    In FF think off hand its Tools > Options > Security Tab and untick Block Web Forgeries.
    In Opera Tools > Preferences > Advanced and untick Enable Fraud Protection.

But beginning to think this is not the cause, did you reboot your modem/router?

Hopefully not stepping on Steves toes, but I take it your using Vista? that message in saving HOSTS is likely as you may have missed the Run as Administrator step for opening Notepad, HOSTS is a system locked file that needs full admin access, even though you maybe in the admin account on Vista your not a full admin, this is by default.

14. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Not at all. I was going to post back and have lokepy try your idea first anyway.

15. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

hihi, thanks for both your help!! :)
    for some reason, it's decided to work in opera today, i didn't do anything... not sure how long it'll last. it still doesn't work on FF or IE...
    as for the disabling the anti phising... somehow i just couldn't do it for FF...
    yes, i am using vista ... i just couldn't figure how to run as administrator....
    anyways, thanks once again for both your help... i might be here again if it crashes in opera!

16. Gumtree999

Gumtree999 Private E-2

Hi again...

I am still having this problem.. I am on XP and tried the hosts file suggestion and it still doesn't work in IE or FF..

Any other thoughts?

Thanks..

17. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Did you try Halos suggestion? If not, try that out.

Im surprised it wont work with the hosts file edit. you can get to other web sites correct? also, is there any kind of web site blocker software installed that could just be blocking facebook? ive found that static.ak.fbcdn.net is actually a facebook site in a different location by running a tracert on both URLs. both URLs actually work for for facebook homepage it seems, however the IP of static.ak.fbcdn.net did not work in the browser and the IP of facebook.com does. you might have to contact your isp on this one. i have a feeling that if editing the hosts file with the actual ip of www.facebook.com doesnt work, the problem might not be on your side if the file was edited correctly.
    try putting the Ip of facebook http://69.63.184.11 in your browser. does that work?

18. Gumtree999

Gumtree999 Private E-2

Hi there...

I have tried Halo's suggestion but no luck.. I downloaded and installed Opera today it is kind of works but doesn't load very quickly and looks very different and very messy.

I checked my hosts file and I typed it correctly so it should work. Accessing the IP directly doesn't work either.. same transferring message..

I'm cool to contact my ISP if you think that is the problem?

Thanks so much for your help.

19. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

well heres the if's

if you dont have any kind of software blocking access to facebook(firewall, parent controls, etc.) and if you cant access the site by ip or hosts file edit, and if you can get to other sites, then chances are strong it isnt on your side. id contact your isp or maybe even facebook tech support to see whats up. try one more thing for me before you do that.

**remember to remove the hosts file entry!

try this:

open cmd again
    start - run - cmd

first do another ipconfig/flushdns
    it seems the facebook ip changed from 69.63.184.140 to 69.63.184.142 overnight. so flushing your dns cache now might not be a bad idea.

after that while still in cmd

type ping www.facebook.com
    let me know what happens.

should look like this:

ping www.facebook.com

Pinging www.facebook.com [69.63.184.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.63.184.142: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=242
    Reply from 69.63.184.142: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=242
    Reply from 69.63.184.142: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=242
    Reply from 69.63.184.142: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 69.63.184.142:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 47ms

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  20. lokepy

lokepy Private E-2

Hi Gumtree,

I think I know what you mean by the messiness in Opera...
    I get it sometimes too....
    Try https://login.facebook.com
    in opera... it sometimes works for me....

21. Gumtree999

Gumtree999 Private E-2

Heya...

Well, I don't know of any software I have that is blocking facebook. I also get this problem from time to time on yahoo.com.au and a few other sites.

I tried the flush then the ping and got the reply from 69.63.176.143 so tried to access through ff and still no luck.. It works in opera but is still yuck..

I tried the other login suggestion in opera and it is still the same messy screen also...

Arghhh

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds