Unable to access a website

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legalsuit, Feb 16, 2007.

1. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I use an IBM ThinkPad with Intel Premium, Internet Explorer7; Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, and I do regular updates.

When I try to access the Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII)websites (URL being http://www.austlii.edu.au/) or World Legal Information Institute (WorldLII) (URL being http://www.worldlii.org/) which are available to the public, I receive the following error message (I've imbedded notes in CAPITAL LETTERS of what tests I've done within the message below):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems (DIAGNOSIS SHOWS NO CONNECTION PROBLEMS - CAN ACTUALLY HAVE OTHER WEBSITES UP WITH NO PROBLEMS WHEN TRYING TO ACCESS AUSTLII)

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost (DIAGNOSIS SHOWS CONNECTIVITY NOT LOST).
    The website is temporarily unavailable (PROBLEM OCCURS ANY TIME ANY DAY WHEN I KNOW OF USERS SUCCESSFULLY GAINING ACCESS).
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable (NOT SURE HOW TO TEST OR CHECK FOR THIS).
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain. (NOT SURE HOW TO TEST OR CHECK FOR THIS)
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section. (PROTOCOLS CHECKED AND BOTH ENABLED)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can anyone help? I can access other legal/non-legal websites, but even when trying to access AUSTLII by linking from another website the above error occurs. I think it may be a DNS problem but not sure, and if it is, I'm not sure how to fix problem.

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Just thought I would let the MajorGeeks community know that I have finally resolved my own dilemma regarding access to a particular website after some troubleshooting. I'm posting the solution in case someone else out there has encountered a similar problem.

I use Internet Explorer7 with Yahoo7 (latest updates) and it appears this browser was (for an unknown reason) blocking my access to the website in question. After enabling the Firefox/Mozilla browser I found I can now access the website using either the website's IP address or URL!;)

Yeeehaaa!!!!

I can now continue using Internet Explorer7 for everything else (because I like all the tools on it) and flip over to Firefox whenever I need access to this other troublesome website.

Cheers

LS:wave

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Thanks for posting your solution and good work on your troubleshooting.:clap

4. thatdeal1234

thatdeal1234 Private E-2

do u guys know of anywebsite unblocker that actually works

5. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Regarding this earlier post
    Update (FYI):

Although Firefox allowed access to the particular website AUSTLII, I found for the type of websites I need to access, it is imperative that I use IE, so this type of access problem was worrying.

I have now found that AUSTLII is now accessible on IE7 (and still accessible on Firefox).

I do regular updates and cleanups, so I can only think perhaps it was an initial problem with the latest IE version.

Cheers

LS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds