Unable to access parts of hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tesher07, Dec 24, 2011.

1. tesher07

tesher07 Private E-2

I have 2 drives in the computer. The first being the new one with a fresh install, and the second one being my last one which wont boot but still has all the files. The problem I am having is that I'm trying to backup all my documents onto my new drive but when I click my name under the user folder of the last drive it gives me "Permission denied to access folders".

Does anyone know how to get past this? I am able to view my programs and such but not the user folder which has all of my stuff. Also, my last drive had a password for the user, so I am unsure if that effects the access. Thank you

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

You have to take ownership of the drive. This video shows it being done for an external drive but it will be the same for the internal drive also. If you have XP home you have to be in safe mode to see the Security tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wkaMFsh04

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds