unable to access task manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by MichaelinTn, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MichaelinTn

MichaelinTn Private E-2

I am running windows XP home, Service Pack 3. Intel, Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz, 1.5MB RAM. Gateway PC.

This just started today, I am unable to access Task Manager. I get no error of any kind, but when I use Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the access window the tab for Task Manager is greyed out.
    On top of this I am having problems with IE7, drop down windows close on their own, and the bar across the top of the page where the minimize, restore and close window buttons are keeps flashing to the inactive window color scheme. The window spends the majority of it's time active and only flashes inactive, but that is enough to cause me irritation.
    I noticed the problem with my IE first and went to open Task Manager to see what was causing the issue. That is when I discovered my inability to access.

I have AVG and ran it to see if that would clear the problem. No such luck. I then restored the computer to a previous date, going as far back as I could (July 26) this also was an epic fail. :banghead

I hope I have provided enough information to make helping my ignorant arse easy.

Thanks
    Michael.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What happens if you type Taskmgr.exe ,<enter>, in the Search box? Does that work?

Also do a Search on unable to access Task Manager "XP", for lots of links

Bazza

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. MichaelinTn

MichaelinTn Private E-2

I am unable to type fast enough to get the command prompt in before this problem with the windows becoming inactive clears the command. I can type in Task then the box is highlighted and the next letter I type clears out what is already there and all I have is a "m".

this problem is affecting all of my windows, not just IE7. I realize that I did not mention that in my first post. Sorry.

4. MichaelinTn

MichaelinTn Private E-2

I was finally able to get the command prompt entered. I got the dreaded "Task Manager has been disabled by Adminstrator" message. guess that means maleware. I am looking at the Read and Run thread that covers the same problem.

Thanks for your time. If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I have bookmarked that link. :major
    Thanks,

Bazza

===

7. MichaelinTn

MichaelinTn Private E-2

I have been following the instructions from the links provided by Kestrel13 (Read and Run First). I have gotten all the way to ComboFix, but when I try to download the program from my desktop I get a error.

Error Opening File
    C:\32788R22FWJFW\pev.3XE

I am given 3 options
    Abort
    Retry
    Ignore.

I'm not sure what I should do.

8. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

In the Read Me Run Me, from the 3rd bullet under "Important Notes:" for Combofix.
    • If you are running AVG anti-virus, you will need totally uninstall it in order to run ComboFix:
      AVG Removal Tool Select the Download Location to be Download@Author's Site selection for 32 bitversions and the 64Bit @Authors Site for64 bit versions.
    Have you totally unistalled AVG? If you have, and you're still having trouble with Combofix then skip it and move on to the next step. Then, when you post your logs in the Malware Removal forum include a discription of what happened(like you did here) when you tried to use Combofix.

Don't get flustered, stick with it.

Edit:
    Forgot, you should probably Abort. At least for now.

9. MichaelinTn

MichaelinTn Private E-2

Thanks for the help to everyone. I completed the Read and Run steps last night and my computer is responding as well as it ever has. I will post logs in malware forum.

thanks again
    Michael

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds