Unable to Boot, No Beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CattBoy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Hello Everyone,

Problem: Computer is unable to boot

Overview: Computer is built by me. It is about ~2 Years old. PC's always tend to lag when you over use them but lately my pc was bogging down when loading windows (xp pro) and would hang for at least 1 minute. IE: Restart, once everything was running I would click Ventrillo and it would SIT there and not load it, the program would come UP but it would be bugged out and unable to click things.

History:
    I just left to go shopping and left my computer on running World of Warcraft in the background. I came home to find my screen have all sorts of lines and nonsense on the screen and was not functioning. I turned off the pc and turned it back on, but sits at a black screen not loading my BIOS even.

Debugging Actions Taken: I have stripped the computer of EVERYTHING except my power supply plugged into the mobo, and 1 (of 2) ram sticks plugged in.

When I turn on the computer it does not make the POST beep or any sound.

My power supplies fan is running as well as my PSU's fan and the MoBo's fan (attached to it).

My Assumptions: I ran MEMTest 86 ~2 weeks ago and they all passed because I was testing why my computer was hanging on loading, so I just ignored it and continued to use my pc.

I did just buy a new 750gb HD that I had installed so I could have shot my Power Supply Possibly?

I usually run with 2 SATA's (750 & 300gb's) as well as IDE 250 gb.

Specs:

Motherboard- NF4 Ultra-D LanParty;
    http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

Power Supply- OCz Technology 800watts (i think cannot find my box)

Ram- 2x 1024mb OCz
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel_platinum

If you need more let me know.

Any help would be great because I am a poor college student and cannot really afford to go to say the deadly GEEK SQUAD, ugh.

Thanks all and now that I do not have a PC I will be watching this post like a hawk.

Cheers,

~CB

2. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Edit:

Further Debugging;

After doing some more research, I looked into the manual for the mobo and it seems there are LED diagnostics on the mobo.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/manual_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

On page 59.

I re-plugged my video card back in so currently I have the following;

Video card pluged into mobo, PSU pugged into Video Card & mobo. Ram plugged into DDR DIMM 2

When i turn on my computer, it goes from 4 lights to 3 to 2 then stops at 1.

Could this mean my graphics card is shot and that is why its A) Not showing any output on screen, B) its not doing the post BEEPS?

Let me know and I will continue my investigaiton!

Thanks

3. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Bump**

4. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

I would first try a different power supply. Seeing that the system has slowed down, this could be a sign that the hard drives are not getting enough power.

If that has no effect, try a different video card, swap memory, reset the BIOS (usually moving a jumper does this).

Resetting the BIOS: Move the BIOS RESET jumpter, usually near the battery, after you move the jumper power the system, the system should not power up in most cases, then unplug the power chord and move the jumper back. Power the system again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds