Unable to Boot - No Post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benji99, Mar 10, 2008.

1. benji99

benji99 Private E-2

My Current Setup;

MSI K8N Neo4-F NVIDIA
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
    2GB Corsair RAM
    XFX GeForce 7300 GT

Got a bit of a problem and was hoping to gather some opinions on what my problem may be!

Yesterday morning I noticed that my ISP (Cable) was having problems (once again) as my modem indicated it had no connection.

Since I had down time anyways, I thought this would be the perfect time to reset the modem, router and PC (which had been running for 320+ hours straight).

Unplugged the modem and router and shutdown PC. After resetting the modem and router, I went to start the PC but it never did. The monitors (dual) never turned on.

Fans are working (CPU fan, 3 case fans and PSU fans), everything else seems to be ok. I tried only leaving essentials connected/attached (Mobo, CPU, RAM, Video) with no luck. I then disassembled the entire PC and cleaned it. I reinstalled everything including CPU and tried again with same results.

Now I do have the MSI supplied D-Bracket installed. It always shows all four led's red. According to the manual, this means CPU installed incorrectly or CPU is damaged.

All components are have been installed for less than 12 months. I would find it hard to believe that the CPU would fail after only a year and especially after a reboot.

Any ideas?

2. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Hi there its a tricky one i had an AMD cpu almost the same spec as that and i must admit it they dont like being left on that long! but have you unplugged second monitor? have you clocked the CPU? and try setting the bios back to failsafe settings will it get as far as the memory test if it just turns off as if POWER CUT then it will prob be faulty CPU let me know of the simptons of the boot any error messages or strange behaviour!

3. benji99

benji99 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I did reset CMOS by unplugging the power supply as well as using the reset CMOS button and removing the CMOS battery. This did not solve the issue. I also tried booting with only one monitor as well as no monitor without any luck. The CPU was never overclocked.

I can't get into the BIOS ... period, therefor I have no error messages or anything else to report. The screen never turns on or displays anything at all. No warning/error beeps from the case speaker. If everything is connected, the fans will start, hard drives will spin up but nothing else happens.

The computer has ran for longer periods of time without any problems. I just can't see the CPU failing like that after a reboot.

Does anyone have any experience with the MSI D-Bracket? How accurate is it? I would assume the problem could be the motherboard as well?

4. nekit345

nekit345 Private E-2

I had the same problem . i tried almost everything untill i just started switching the memory sticks i finaly resolved my problem by switching them and tacking the second one out.... therefore try playing with your sticks its all i can do for you and i dont guarantee anything

5. benji99

benji99 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply ... but I tried. I switched sticks, removed, added, changed, etc ... without any resolution.

Since my MB and CPU are socket 939 and are no longer made, which would make difficult and senseless to replace either without knowing which is the problem ... I decided to buy a new MB, CPU and RAM. All arrived today and will be installed tonight. This should fix my problem ... sucks it cost $250 :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds