Unable to change screen resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by headcase13, Apr 10, 2009.

1. headcase13

headcase13 Private E-2

Hello, I am having a major headache that I am hoping someone out there may be able to help with. I am unable to change my screen resolution from 800x600 to 1024x728. Whenever I attempt to do so, and I click either "apply" or 'OK" the resolution automatically resets itself. I have attempted to update both my monitor and display adapter drivers, but this has not helped. I have also set the display mode manually, but again this has not produced any result. I am using an old refurbished Pentium III PC with an Optiquest Q71 Monitor, running Win XP Pro, service pack 3. The display adapter is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model64/64 Pro. I have checked my device manager and it indicates the card is functioning properly. When ever I try to install an updated driver for the card I receive an error message during installation that states I do not have any compatible hardware for the driver and the installation is terminated. If anyone could provide any tips on what I may have overlooked, or knows of a NVIDIA driver or generic driver download compatible with this card I would be most grateful. Thank you for taking the time to read this! :cool

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I would just recommend buying an inexpensive PCI graphics card for the computer, as it is probably going to be more hassle to fix this issue than it would be to install a new card.

3. Xcom46

Xcom46 Guest

Try an update bye updateing your card you should be able to change the resolution.I no if i dont update mine it get funkey:-D

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Head,

Is it two complete images, one in the upper half of the screen and the other in the bottom? Or one slightly offset from the other?

Jim

5. headcase13

headcase13 Private E-2

I think perhaps you misunderstood me, the problem is not with multiple images but with the resolution.

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Head,

Oops! Got your post mixed up with another one.

Jim

7. Xcom46

Xcom46 Guest

8. headcase13

headcase13 Private E-2

Thanks to everyone who responded, I bought a new card from a buddy for 4 bucks, and all is good now. MOD: Please lock =)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds