"Unable to Connect" to certain sites, no ping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arisdh, May 20, 2013.

1. arisdh

arisdh Private E-2

Greetings, im totally clueless what to do. My computer cannot access certain websites. I have no problem with most, but certain sites i get "Unable to connect" I've read others have this problem, but the solutions offered have not been fruitful to me.

It's not the browser since i can't access these sites on Firefox or IE.
    It's not the router or modem. I have a laptop, and I CAN access these sites with it. I don't have this issue with my laptop.
    It's not firewall, i've disabled and still nothing.

I've pinged and tracert my school's website www.bhsu.edu I get
    "Destination host unreachable"
    When i ping and tracert using http:// in front of www (i.e., http://www.bbc.com/news/) i get
    "Request timed out"

It's not Malware, i've run everything, there's nothing there.
    I have flushed DNS and renewed, but still nothing.
    I've used a proxy website (network-tools.com) and "timed out"

I don't know what else to do.
    Can someone help? Please. I'm at a total lost. I'm very clueless, so if there is something you recommend i do, please literally spell it out. Thank you in advance.
    AK

2. computermdsc

computermdsc Private E-2

I take it you can not connect to your schools website or bbc.com?

Can you post the results of the ping to your school's website? www.bhsu.edu

This problem could be caused by your host file.
    Located at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Copy and paste the contents here.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I had no problem connecting to either site through my ATT U-Verse connection. Sounds like you need to flush the dns on your laptop, and reset Winsock, along with reboot your router & modem.

Only other thing, would be whatever firewall software you are running, if it is not the built in firewall for Windows, or you tightened your rules on the router & firewall way too much.

Too many open ends here, that need connected on the OP behalf.

4. markdavis0011

markdavis0011 Private E-2

clear the browser's cache and click the check "Automatically detect settings" in the LAN settings. If you have DHCP enabled, open the command prompt, type ipconfig /release. Then type ipconfig /renew. Then type ipconfig /flushdns.
    I hope this would work for you.

5. tlledet

tlledet Private E-2

it worked for me! Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds