Unable to connect to new lynksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tadpole, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tadpole

tadpole Private First Class

Hi

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 1125ei running vista home premium SP2

I am a bit baffled. I have a lynksys router that I upgraded to WRT54GL v 4.30.15 The internet port gave up, so I bought a new one with WRT54GL v 4.30.7

The LAN on my laptop has gone on the blink, no little lights. I set up the new router, but my laptop does not see it. I tried the disc set up, but it gave me a message that it could not find my wireless adapter. Therefore it could not connect to the router. My network center reports that it cannot find any networks.

My wireless adapter is showing as on, if I plug in the old router it is found and I am able to put in 192.168.1.1 and pull up my old config.

My brothers computer running windows 7 can see the router and I am able to enter 192.168.1.1 and view the config. I had a Lan connection connected

My old config runs on wireless channel 6-2.437 GHZ and the new router is on channel 11-2.437GHZ

Could the problem be because I am unable to connect to the router via LAN for the initial set up? If so is there any way around it? I bought my laptop in a different country and getting a new LAN card will be a hassle as HP pavilions have no authorised agent here.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I would conclude that the "new" router is actually a used one because the channel is set to 11. The default for a Linksys is channel 6 which is where it should be from the factory. This causes me to wonder what other settings have been altered in the router.

I would suggest pressing and holding the reset button for about 20 seconds, then restart the router by briefly unplugging the power to it. this should restore the factory defaults. That should have the SSID set to Linksys and the channel back to 6 with no security in place. You should then be able to make whatever adjustments you want from there.

3. tadpole

tadpole Private First Class

Hi shnerdly

Thanks so much for your reply. I changed the channel to 6 and I am back online! (and I learnt something)

The first router I got from this place, I sent back telling them it did not work. Both of them came in cellophane as though brand new, so I was not suspicious - just thought it was a dud! Someone has a nice little business going!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds