unable to detect card reader

Discussion in 'Software' started by shef, Apr 27, 2005.

1. shef

shef Private E-2

my computer will no longer recognize my external memory card reader. i used to be able to hook it up and access the info by going to My Computer and under Devices with Removable Storage there would be an icon there which i could click on and open the device. the icon no longer shows up and i can't find the device any other place. it used to work fine and does indeed work on other computers (my wife and i both tried it on workplace computers and it worked fine). i have tried both of my usb ports with no luck (other devices work fine in either port). the reader is made by Dazzle and is a 10 in 1 card reader. i have tried to re-install the drivers from the installation disc with no luck.

i am running windows xp home edition, have an intel pent. 111 processor @ 551 mhz and have 384 mb of ram

can you help?

thanks,
    shef

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I have no idea. The device obviously works, since you can use it on other computers, and your USB ports seem to work since others devices can use the ports. Have you tried the manufacters site yet?

Zio Corporation - Support

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. shef

shef Private E-2

i have. tech support seems to think the reader is defective. however, that doesn't seem probable since the device works on other computers which is why i tried geeks.

hmmmmm

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

OK, I see their Tech support is about as useful as others.

Unistalling the drivers, doesn't delete the drivers from your hard drive. They are always left in the Windows INF and System32 folders.

Try this:

Unistall the drivers:

Make sure you back up your registry first.
    Remove any Regdtry Key/Value dealing with Zio, ZioCorp. Zio Corp, Zio Corporation.

Reboot.

Delete any files you find in you Windows, Windows/Inf, Windows/System, and Windows/System32 folders that are from Zio Corporation.

Reload the drivers.

5. shef

shef Private E-2

ok i'll give it a try. i'm a little nervous in playing with the registry but did read how to back it up. one question....can i simply "export that particular subkey" as explained in the microsoft help section or do i have to back up the whole registry which is much more involved in that i have to install something called a "ValueAdd" folder from my windows xp installation cd (the backup utility is not included in the default installation of windows xp home edition)

thanks,
    shef

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I, know it can be painful, but backup the entire registry. Exporting the key won't do the trick.

Editing the registry it always a little dangerous. Uninstall the drivers and reboot the system before you edit the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds