Unable to DL a codec for free for Windows Media Player on Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jennyfer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Private E-2

<snipped email address>

Hi, my name is Jennyfer. I'm not good with computers, so I need a little help..I have been trying to no avail to be able to download a free codec(because that's what my pc says I need to play a movie) from Windows media player site..I have version 11 of Windows Media Player and I have A software i can download movies from onto my computer, however, my player will not let me play it. It keeps giving me an error message stating I dont have the right codec to play the movie thats dowloaded..So I try to find that particular one for free, and nothing is giving me any info, so if someone could pplease help me i would greatly appreciate this...I just want something compatible with wmp11 that will let me watch my dl'd movies..Thank you so much...If there is something I can do in return, please do not hesitate to ask..

Sincerely,
    Jennyfer W.

P.s. PLease contact me at my email address above if you can help me...thanks. <snipped email address>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jennyfer and Welcome to Majorgeeks, I removed your email address form the post as its public and will be harvested for spam purposes and to also protect you for the weird and wonderful on the internet.

As for the codec, I have Vista and use the Vista Codec Pack, Buggabear posted and it works fine with Vista and WMP11, plus its free, do install it via the admin account on your PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds