Unable to download or open files thru Internet Explorer 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by MEtten, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MEtten

MEtten Private E-2

Hi All,

I have a friend who is running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 10. Whenever he tries to download or open an internet file from the internet, they receive the error message of "xxxxxx.exe" could not be saved (or opened). And the file cannot then be opened or downloaded. At times it gets as far as saying it is running the security scan, but the process never ends.

Oddly, the file(s) can be opened or saved thru Firefox but not Internet Explorer. I have searched looking for a solution but only see references of changing a registry value and downgrading back to Internet Explorer 8 or 9.

Has anyone else come across this and if so, how was your situation resolved. I really do not feel that I should tell my friend "just change to Firefox".

Thanks in advance,

MEtten

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

There have been a lot of issues reported for IE 10 in both Windows 7 & 8. People have been advised not to install it.

So, personally, I'd tell your friend to install Firefox 23 (latest stable version). The only time I run IE is on Microsoft Update Tuesday and THAT'S because I can't get the updates in FF.

If he/she has a bunch of favorites stored in IE, they can all be imported into FF (but, I'm sure you already know this. ;)).

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey MEtten, just keep an eye out on the newest Firefox, I'm on their forum now because after the update to ff 23, my bookmarks keot disappearing and it kept freezing on me that's why I'm evaluating Nightly for them. Not to undermind my buddy mdonah, but to just make you aware. Mozilla says they are looking in on it and may need to fix it in the next update.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Does that also happen when right-clicking on the download link, then "Save target as..."?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds