Unable To Download Windows 7 Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Georgew7510, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Georgew7510

Georgew7510 Private E-2

I am a computer novice - I know I've said that before. I have a Dell Inspiron 3647 with Windows 7 and use Firefox and Thunderbird. The most recent Windows update will not download. I have re-booted, unplugged everything, turned off anti-virus (Norton 360), and the little exclamation point keeps re-appearing. I've used the suggestions from Google that I could understand, but still nothing. It appears to download, shuts off my computer, but then the exclamation point. On the auto download section it says "download failed." Help will be sincerely appreciated.
    George

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It is not normal for something to download and turn off your computer.

Open your View History Update in the left pane.
    What is the KB of the update that is failing to install?

If there is more than one that has failed, post those numbers.

July was a fairly light month so I don't expect that there would be more than 12 failed updates.

4. Georgew7510

Georgew7510 Private E-2

5. Georgew7510

Georgew7510 Private E-2

plodr:
    The failed updates are for "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel (R) HD graphics."
    I have no idea what that is.
    George

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You should be able to click on a 'more information' link that will open in a browser.
    You can check exactly what type of Intel HD graphics you have using this small free tool:
    SPECCY

7. plodr

Hide it. Never accept driver updates from MS. I think I have that same driver sitting in the hidden section for years.

8. plodr

Since I can't edit, I'll post the example. In August 2015, I was offered this update
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064209
    on our four Windows 7 computers. It states
    The problem is, two of the computers are not Intel, they are AMD!
    I didn't install that update on any of the computers.

9. Georgew7510

Georgew7510 Private E-2

Yes, I am one of those people who should not be allowed to own a computer!
    I don't know if I'm answering your questions, but the Intel is "4th generation Intel Pentium G, 3220, 3 m cache, 3.0 GHz". I went to the site someone recommended, downloaded the latest Intel updates, computer shut down and when I turned it on, the exclamation point was gone from the "Shut Down" spot . . . for about 30 seconds and then reappeared.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The windows update you were saying would not install was for graphics, not the CPU.
    Two things, if your system is working fine, then just don't update it and 'hide' the item Windows Update offers.
    If you just want to know about it for your own knowledge, then just do as advised in post #6.

11. Georgew7510

Georgew7510 Private E-2

Opened my computer this am to find a message that overnight Windows had downloaded their latest update, so I am going to assume that the important stuff is taken care of. I'm going to "hide" the Intel update info.
    It's been a long time since I've been here but this is the "go to" place for answers. Thank you very much
    George

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Every 2nd Tuesday in the month are the standard monthly updates. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool plus any OS updates. You can see what was updated in 'Update History', so you don't have to 'guess'. If you take a look, you will know whether it did update the item you started this thread about.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds