unable to establish LAN/Ethernet cable connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moonfog, May 28, 2005.

1. moonfog

moonfog Private E-2

hi all,
    I had this problem with my PC before while trying to connect my wireless broadband modem, the PC was unable to establish a LAN connection, therefore unable to connect at all, until i found some site that showed me how to fix it but since then i have lost the site, my PC is fine but i recently bought a laptop which has the initial problem...
    All i can remember is that the site had an instruction list of directories to go to in order to activate the ethernet/LAN port, can anyone please help as to where i go in my computer to fix this?
    thanks.

2. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

do you have a router, usually needed to connect multiple computers to the modem..

you should be able to go into ur network places to find your internet connections

3. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Check in the BIOS at boot up to make sure your Ethernet port is on or enabled. To do this, during boot you should see a message saying to press a key to enter setup, should be ESC, F2, or a few others. Just watch for the prompt in the bottom or upper right corner of the screen.

If it is on there check your Device manager. Right click on the "My Computer" icon and select properties. Click the hardware tab then click on Device manager. The network card will be listed under the network adapters section. If it has a red X next to that adapter double click it and see if it is disabled. If so, click on the drop down arrow in the bootom of the screen and select use this device (enabled).

If all of this checks out ok, go to start>control panel>network connections and check the staus of your connections here.

I just realized, are you trying to connect wireless or through a wire?

4. moonfog

moonfog Private E-2

hey, thanks for replying, my network adapter is enabled, ok just forget my first post, heres another question...

I bought a wireless router model D-Link DI-524, which i want to use to connect to my PC & wireless broadband modem via ethernet cable and my laptop via wireless (which can be established), my PC network adapter is called ASUSTEK/Broadcom 440X 10/100 Integrated controller.

Problem is that when i set everything up, the Local Area Connection cannot be established, it just sits there and loads for about a minute and then i get the "limited or no connectivity" warning... can anyone help me as to what has to be done now? I am suspecting my network adapter but cant be sure about that, im not even sure if it is a network adapter, does having an ethernet/LAN port automatically mean its a network adapter?
    let me know if more info is needed,
    thanks all.

5. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

your ip addresses arnt correct, thats what was haooening to my wireless network when my computers wernt getting ip addresses in the same range as the router/gateway

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds