Unable to get to internet through wired or wireless after virus removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unjdm, May 14, 2011.

1. unjdm

unjdm Private E-2

Thanks to all who run this site! I'm working on a friend's laptop. Using your "READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide" I was able to detect and remove several viruses/trojans and, after their removal, seem to have gotten the system back up and running... with the exception of networking.

I physically have the laptop hardwired into my wireless router and can ping it, but can get no internet connectivity. (none of the AntiMalware programs, like MalwareBytes can update due to no internet). Neither windows (XP sp3) nor the Dell wireless program sees any available networks.

Your help in guiding me in this final piece of the fix would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would still follow the advice in the Read Me guide and start a thread in the malware forum and attach the logs from the scans as malware still could be on the PC an blocking internet access, if the PC is given a free and clean note regards to malware then post back to this thread and we can continue, but with malware being sneaky these days, while some of the scans, malwarebytes etc finding some malware they may not have removed some of the deep installed malware, for that the logs from the likes of MGTools can highlight.

3. unjdm

unjdm Private E-2

Will do... I had debated on that, but I supposed I "chose wrongly!" Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds