Unable to Host games on Shared network Connection :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malcomxtra, Jul 5, 2007.

1. malcomxtra

malcomxtra Private E-2

Currently have a PC and Laptop both running windows XP

I can host games Online fine when I connect the internet directly to either the laptop or pc

When I connect the internet to the PC and share connection with the Laptop, if I try to host a game Online on the laptop noone can join me but i can join peoples games.

I am using a crossover cable, for the network. PC has two network adapters, Network Adapter connected to modem using obtain IP address auto,
    and Network Adapter used for cross over cable is static IP of 192.168.0.1

The Laptop network adapter is set to Auto Obtain which produces an IP address 192.168.0.135.

I did have kaspersky and windows firewall but have turned both of in each machine.

I am with virgin media and have one of the new standard black cable modem.

I have tried all sorts from forwarding ports, using the laptop to access the pc and running the game that way, installing game on both machines and I just can't work it out.

Can anyone help????

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Are you using ics to share the net, because basiculy that turns you machine into a mini router thats not able to do much of routing, you probably need to buy a real router to make them both work.

4. malcomxtra

malcomxtra Private E-2

No am just using a Crossover cable, I guess am going to have to buy a router :(

5. malcomxtra

malcomxtra Private E-2

Well i heard there is a solution by installing windows 2003 on each machine, basically doesnt work due to the host machine becoming the server and the sharing machine becoming the client. So by installing server 2003 both machines will become servers allowing for the games to be hosted on either machine whether hosted or not

6. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Easiest solution would be is to buy a router. They are under 50 bucks for a wired one. Hook it up and forward the ports like you normally would. Remember that you may go to your connection profile and it may say that your ip address is 192.168.1.xxx. This is not your REAL ip address. This is your internal networks ip address. You need to go to this link , http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ , and it will tell you what your outside ip address is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds