Unable to install Windows Update on Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Roystacy, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Roystacy

Roystacy Private First Class

Hello,

Here is my problem: I can't get Windows Update to install in my Dell laptop. It’s a Dell XPS M1530 purchased sometime in April, 2009. Everytime I call the "support" they send me information that relates to XP and completely ignore the fact that I am running Vista. They send me the same info as to repairing XP. FOr instance, go to start, then search, then type iuengine.dll. Then save as iuengine.dll.old and do that for like 10 other files. I am seriously ready to tell Dell to take this thing back. I have already reloaded Vista into the machine as instructed by the Dell and Microsoft techies.

Does anyone have an easier (correct) way of solving this problem?

Thanks,

RSS

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your Vista at? can click Start and type winver in the Start Search box to find this.

When you open Windows Update in Vista from the Start Search box, by typeing Windows Update and hot enter, and then click Check for Updates in the left panel menu, do updates show in the list for installing? if they do then clcik the install updates option (seen in image below) and what happens next, do you get any error messages as to why the updates didnt install? if so whats the full code

[​IMG]

plus what updates are listing as failing? what you could do is to search the KB number of one of the updates and download and install it manually to see if that works.

Do you have a software firewall, if so what one and disable it to test Windows Update, if you also have Spybot S&D installed disable it also and even your antivirus to test as they can block udpates at times.

As you did a reload of Vista, then woouldnt think the OS is corrupt but more a 3rd party application causing this, so dont do the steps in this yet http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 but do read them and only do the ones mentioning Vista, and 2, 4 and 5 are the general easier fixes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds