unable to load one particular website previously available

Discussion in 'Software' started by confuseduser, Jul 29, 2006.

1. confuseduser

confuseduser Private E-2

Hi, I hope I am posting this question in the correct location, apologies if I am not.

I have been trying to view my friend's blog but in the past 6-8 weeks I noticed a problem occurs. I used to be able to load it in a few seconds, but now when I go there it might take upwards of 20 minutes to load it and even then I can only get a basic text version up if it actually does load. I have asked friends to load it and they have no problem, in fact my old pc which runs W98 can load it with full html content. Now have XP.

I dont know if this is connected, but about the same time I had a problem and cleared some malware and spyware. Maybe just a coincidence, as I dont think I reset anything in my internet options under security or anything like that.

I do not have this problem with any other website I visit, only this one and it is odd that only this site I cannot view, if at all it. When it does eventually laod it is only as a lousy version as I noted. Can anyone suggest some solutions to this, if so I can provide more info about system and the like. I thought it might be IE security settings but fiddling with it briefly and changing things to low rather than the default settings does not help. What can possibly be stopping me from loading this particular web site?

Thanks in advance

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have CCleaner installed (if not:CCleaner:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_d4191.html ) maybe that it's trying to access a temp file that was corrupt from the malware ..might need to clean it out. Run the cleaner and then the issues (keep a backup when prompted).

3. confuseduser

confuseduser Private E-2

Will downlaod that and give it a try... can it be so simple? Oh will this application delete things at all like settings or histories and things like that?

4. TimW

it will get rid of temps ....but not bookmarks ....will have to reenter addresses ..there are check boxes for stuff you may not want it to scan and delete ...but I find it much better to just let it run as default settings.

5. confuseduser

confuseduser Private E-2

Tim, thank you so much for your help. After months of hassles your quick and easy solution has fixed the problem. I can now load the blog page in a few seconds as opposed to never and view full contents. That certainly was the problem as you mentioned

I saved a back up of the files when I ran the issues options, so will see if anything got shaken out when I run things as usual later on. For now, it works fine and thanks once again.

regards

Andy

6. confuseduser

confuseduser Private E-2

Arghhh I spoke to soon, after some success, I went back to the site later on the evening and same problem again, forever to load and not all content comes up. This is ridiculous that it worked fine after I ran the cleanup, but now back to old habits. Darn it.

7. confuseduser

confuseduser Private E-2

Are there any other suggestions to fix this?

I wonder if it is some sort of setting problem with the browser, as this affects no other site?

8. TimW

What is the site ....?

9. padams

padams First Sergeant

Cookies maybe?

Some sites won't open unless you have cookies enabled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds