Unable to log on because of an account restriction

Discussion in 'Software' started by boneyeye, Jan 19, 2008.

1. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, When starting my compt, I get the above error on the" logon message" window. Beneath this is the" Logon to Windows" window . On this window is User Name- Administrator(greyed out) and near the end of this window is a small blue section with EN in white. I would like to get rid of these occuring and just have the welcome screen which is what i like to use. I am sole user, Administrator, no password now. Used one for a short while but deleted it. I cannot get into" safe mode" at all. Compt. Stops at " Loading your personal settings. Specs: WinXP,SP2,Home Edition, AMD Sempron 2600+, RAM 768MB, AVG 7.5.516, Wins Firewall, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S+D, SpywareGuard, HDD 74.5GB-63.5 Free. Hope someone can help. Boneyeye

2. stewieandco

stewieandco Private E-2

Hi
    If you go into Control Panel- User Accounts and click on the account you are after. Then you are able to change the way you log on and also close other accounts so that you are the only account open.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats not the actual problem.

The problem is that this is Windows XP Home, and the Admin account is set to auto logon in the registry, which isnt possible for normal mode. Assuming you can log in....

First, backup your registry.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1090321#post1090321

Then open regedit, and modify this value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look to the right and change AutoAdminLogon to 0, by rightclicking it and choosing modify.

Click OK, and reboot to test.

4. boneyeye

boneyeye Corporal

Hi, TY so much stewieandco/Adrynaline. While I was waiting on the answer I was reading thread 149088 and "low and behold " Major Attitude's Tutorial on Kill Login in Guides and FAQ solved it. By the way Adrynalyne AutoAdm Login in registry is set to (1) but seemes to be working ok. So would it be better to now leave "well enough alone" Boneyeye

5. colchang

colchang Private E-2

Hi, Boneyeye.
    I have the same problems (login to XP Home) after editing registry. how did you resolve the issue?

thanks in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds