Unable to open wireless connection Vista(32)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mfelice, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mfelice

mfelice Private E-2

I have lost the ability to connect to my wireless router with my Vista(32) laptop. The error that is displayed is:

"internet connection service disabled
    error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start"

Upon trying to restart the wireless connection, I get the error: "connection unsuccessful"

When I select "diagnose this problem", I get the following message:
    "Windows Network diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy Service is not running", and "you will need to manually start the "Diagnostics Policy Service. Once this service is started you can run Network Diagnostics"

When I try to run the Diagnostic Policy Service, I get the error "Windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied. This even happens when I select Run as Administrator".

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    thanks,
    -M-

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Looks like you will have to do a registry edit for this part of the problem. Take a look at this MS KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996
    Once that is done, your diagnostic should work and may get you hooked up or at least provide some more information as to the connection problem.

3. mfelice

mfelice Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately, the registry already had my user account with full control and read permissions. I still get the same error, even though I confirmed and reset the permissions to full control and read.
    Any other ideas why I can't run the Diagnostic Policy service?
    Thanks,
    -M-

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds