Unable to ping any address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brlarue, May 10, 2009.

1. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

After much testing with hardware and software I am unable to fix my ping problem.

If I boot with a Linux CD(Knoppix) I can ping normally.

I boot in Safe Mode w/Networking and I cannot ping anything other than the pc itself.

My system is Windows XP w/SP3.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

boot in normal mode, are there any ! or ? in the device manager? you may need to reinstall the network card drivers.

3. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

No devices have issues.

I have gone so far as to install an extra NIC card. Still the same issue.

Only ping that is successfull is to 127.0.0.1

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Have you tried flushing the arp cache?

Method 4 from this MS KB.

5. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

yep ...

I recently tried WireShark ... great program btw. It traces all the packets and when I compare the log to one of my other PCs. It is dramatically different. A good PC just shows the ICMP commands for echo and reply. My funky PC shows all kind of crap when I do a ping. It's like going all over the place, but not a simple ICMP command. Who know what the hell is happening.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Are you pinging other XP machines?

7. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

All the other PCs on the network can ping whatever. I cannot ping other PCs, but I can ping the Router, Modem or server, which is all I really need.

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If you can ping the router then the other machines are blocking the pings from this machine. I would suspect firewall settings on the other machines.

9. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

I think I said that wrong ....

The bad PC cannot ping anything but 127.0.0.1(Localhost)

The good PCs can ping anything except each other. Which I don't care about.

I do care about the bad PC ... because it can't ping anything, it can't see the file server.

10. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK.....can you do an IPCONFIG /ALL from the machine that does not work and post here?

Have you tried changing the network cable?

11. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

maybe your hosts file has been corrupted or messed up somehow. You can try using hostsxpert to reset it to the microsoft default

http://majorgeeks.com/HostsXpert_d4626.html

wouldn't hurt to check it.

12. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

this might be silly question but is it picking up a ip address from the network?

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What would be most helpful at this point is to post the ipconfig /all information. We can get a better headstart on the issue from that point.

14. brlarue

brlarue Private E-2

Hi all,

I’m a little late, but here’s the outcome from my Ping problem. After trying everything I could think of from a hardware and software standpoint I had a local network person come over to see if he could fix it. I told him I would pay him for an hour’s worth of his time if he could fix it. He spent about an hour fiddling around, but I still could not Ping(localhost only). Based on some issues he was having I started thinking about another avenue to go down. One approach he explored was that a virus was causing the problem. I had Windows Live OneCare on my PC and had only run the Anti Virus scan that is part of OneCare. He installed an anti virus utility called Vipre and ran a scan with that. What I noticed is that when Vipre wanted to get the most current virus definitions it was unsuccessfull. We dismissed this and moved on. Nothing was discovered and after about an hour we agreed it was time to stop. I did compensate him for his time even though he was not successful. After he left I thought maybe the fact that Vipre could not get the latest updates might be related to my ping issue. At that point I thought I would try another AV utility. I downloaded Kapersky AV and started to install it. At the start it said that there was another AV utility installed and it would have to uninstall it. I said yes to the uninstall question. The Kapersky software could not get the latest AV updates either. The next thing I did was to try the Comodo AV. One of the features it provides is live support. This turned out to be the turning point. When I could not get the latest updates with Comodo I tried to use the Live Support feature. That wouldn’t work either. When I would try to connect with the live support I noticed a Winsock error would quickly flash on the screen. I was able to speak with their support via the internet chat feature and they had me verify various settings to try to get it to work. One of the things we did was to turn off the service “Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing”. After turning this off the live update started working as well as the Live Support. I was able to get the latest updates at this point. I was also able to Ping.

You may be thinking that just turning off this service fixed it, but I believe it was tied to Kapersky uninstalling the OneCare AV in addition to temporarily disabling the Windows Firewall/ICS service. After a few days I turned on the Windows Firewall/ICS service and my ability to ping was still functional. I then uninstalled Comodo and reinstalled the Onecare AV. Now I am back to my original setup and my Ping is fine.

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the late reply

Ron

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds