Unable to play ~5% of my .mp3's

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArmyGroo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

First system specs:

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600) MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6728 100
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6728
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V2.5 09/29/2004
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    100.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    67.33 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ [CD-ROM drive]
    PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-105 [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD1000BB-00CJA1 [Hard drive] (100.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAA91057298, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy 1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
    Slot '1' has 512 MB
    Slot '2' has 512 MB

c: (on drive 0) 20.97 GB 9.00 GB free
    d: (on drive 0) 79.05 GB 58.33 GB free

Ok now for the info. About 4 months ago I had a few days spare time and I decided to upgrade to XPsp2 for the third time and I first back up all my important information onto cd. The upgrade failed for my third time and uninstall just messed things up even more. So with a fresh install of XP1 and many hours of updating my sytem, drivers and programs it is all working great.

Today many months later I am looking for a specific song in my library of 1,200 songs and it is not there. So I look to my music folder, find and try to play it. It does not play in either ITunes or Windows media player.

ITunes gives no error it just does not bring up the song. Windows media player gives this error:

"ClassFactory cannot supply requested class"

I went to windows website and it gives this information:

You've encountered error message 80040111 while using Windows Media Player. We are investigating the cause of this error. We will post more information about this error when it becomes available. ​

I searched the forums here and found information that said it probably meant either my codecs were not up to to date. And a google search netted me information that I should update my WindowsScript file. No updating has seemed to work. (Not sure where to download further audio codecs beyond the auto-update in windows media player and the regular updates of ITunes.)

More information on the problem. Other songs on the same back-up cd work. All problem songs are in MPEG Layer 3 Audio format. I was able to listen to the songs before I backed them up to CD.

I will try to find more updates but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

2. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

Ok I updated from media player 9 to media player10 and I am able to play the files with media player 10 after a reboot. However, I am unable to play them with ITunes after an update. I was playing these files with ITunes previously.

What would you recommend I try to get this to work?

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Before you upgraded WMP (windows media player) to version 10, were you able to play any song within ITUNES?

While you are upgraded to the latest version, have you tried re-installing or do a repair install of ITUNES? That may work....

Or you could try downloading K-Lite Codec Pack (at a last resort) to attempt to fix the issue in hand.....

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4620

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  4. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

Before I upgraded to version 10 I was able to play 95% of my songs in ITunes.

I have tried to do the repair install of ITunes but not a complete uninstall / re-install. I will give that a try and post updates for the uninstall / install and the use of the codec pack.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds