Unable to record system sound: win 7 PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ms Peel, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Ms Peel

Ms Peel Private E-2

Desktop PC, Windows 7, stock sound card... you probably need more info.

All the help I can find online has me going into the sound device properties, the "Recording" tab, and making sure the right things are checked. I don't even have a "recording" tab at this point, but when I did it never listed "stereo mix". What the heck am I missing? I want to do some podcasting, but right now I'll only be able to record vocals separately and add in music and other effects later. No editing live for me until I get this sorted out. Thanks.

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

hi, Ms Peel

What is the make and model of the PC you are using? Or, if custom built, what is the motherboard make and model?

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Go to Start>Accessories>Sound Recorder.

Put on your headset w/mike.

4. Ms Peel

Ms Peel Private E-2

I want to record system sound and sound files on my machine live. Recording through the mic input works fine already, I'm just not able to record any system sound, live, with Sound Recorder or any other software. I've done this in the past on other machines with other OSs, but now on this machine with Win 7 it's a no go. Yes, I can edit in sound files later, but there are times when I really want to record system sound on the fly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds