Unable to reinstall printer after clean install of OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by paisleydaisy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

I recently did a clean install of my OS and since I was still having issues with my computer, I went to the malware forum and went through that process as well. My computer was deemed virus-free but I am still having issues.
    Right now, the main thing is getting my printer back on. I have a Canon Pixma ip6600d that was previously installed on this computer. (Dell Inspiron 580S - windows 7 64-bit).
    I tried loading from the disc but it says it cannot install on this OS. I got an updated driver from windows update and went to the Canon website and downloaded the add-on for the 64-bit OS. The computer recognizes my printer - it's under Other Devices in the device manager but it will not print anything. In the "display print queue" it says "error - printing". I am trying to print a test page. when i run the troubleshooter, it says it couldn't identify the problem.
    Yes it is plugged in, turned on and the properties say it is ready.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you click on the Windows Globe and select Devices and Printers, is the printer shown under Printer and Faxes?

When you go into services, is the Print Spooler Service started and set to automatic?

3. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

Yes, the printer is shown under Printers and Faxes.
    Yes the Print Spooler Service is started and set to automatic.

4. tgell

You can try the following. Does plugging the printer into a different USB port on the back of the computer while the printer is on help? If not, create a restore point first. Also create a System Recovery Disk if you have not done this yet. Boot the disk to see if it functions correctly. Disconnect the printer.

Remove any Canon Printer Software from the Add/Remove Programs section of Control Panel.

Click on your printer under Printers and Faxes. Then in the top menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the driver tab, select your Canon printer and press remove.

Then download the 64bit Vista Driver and install. Reboot. After powering on the printer connect the USB cable to the computer. It should recognize the printer and install the driver. See if it prints. If not, disconnect the USB cable of the printer, install the add-on driver for Windows 7 64bit and reboot. While the printer is on, plug in the USB cable.

[​IMG]

5. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

I couldn't find any Canon or Pixma under the add/remove programs so I did a search and took it out. When I try to remove under the Print Server Properties, I get a message that says "Unable to remove Canon Inkjet iP6600D, x64, Type 3 - User mode driver. The specified driver is currently in use."
    I'm not sure how it could be in use when it is disconnected from the computer and turned off.

6. tgell

In Devices and Printers, Right click and printer and select remove device. Sorry, forgot that step. Then go into Print Server Properties and remove the driver. Reboot then install the Vista Driver.

When you install the Vista Driver, it may ask you to connect the printer. I would do that if it asks you before the reboot.

Edit: If you cannot print after the Vista driver, then disconnect the printer again and install the addon for windows 7 64 bit. Reboot and try to print.

7. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

I did right click the printer and selected "remove device". That worked but I am still getting an error. I tried to remove just the printer driver but I got the same message as before so I tried to remove driver and package. "Failed to remove driver Canon Inkjet iP600D. the specified printer driver is currently in use. Failed to remove package prnca00j.inf. Access is denied.

8. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

You must stop printer spooler service

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781034(v=ws.10).aspx

and this post

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-message/b478c408-6175-462d-96d0-5be56e61a7de

you must uncheck the bidirectional support

Start
    Printers and Faxes
    Right-click on your printer
    choose Properties from the menu
    Choose "Ports" tab and uncheck the box Enable bi directional support
    push Apply to save it

try these tips !! :wave

9. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

Ok, now I'm getting The RPC server is unavailable.

10. tgell

Start the printer spooler again. Make sure you remove the printer in all user accounts by right clicking and selecting remove.

In the search box, type cmd. Right click and run as administrator.

Then type the following.

printui /s /t2

Then go to the port tab and delete the canon port. Go to the driver tab and delete the driver for the Canon.

Edit: Are you getting the RPC error when you try to login to the computer?

11. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

Not getting the RPC error at login - at least not yet.
    How do I know which port my printer is on? They are all full and I'm not sure what number each of them are.

12. tgell

If you do not see the word canon anywhere on the port tab, I would not delete anything there. Just try to delete the canon driver as described in my previous post.

I have done this on XP with no problems but doing a search I have found that this occurs frequently on Window 7.

13. tgell

Past my 10 minutes for editing. Make sure the Remote Procedure Call service is started and set to automatic.

14. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

:celebrate Yay! It's working!
    Thanks! I don't know what I'd do without you folks!

Now on to my next problem - it will be posted in a different forum.

15. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

I am glad sorted it out but what is your problem's solution mate ? :cool

16. tgell

Glad you got it to work, but was this because you started the RPC service or were you able to print after uninstalling and installing the Vista driver? Was the Vista driver all that was needed or did you have to install the Win7 add-on?

Thanks.

17. paisleydaisy

paisleydaisy Private E-2

It was the Vista driver that did it, although I'm at a complete loss at why a Vista driver would work correctly on Windows 7.

18. tgell

Thanks for the feedback. Vista drivers have a good chance of working if a Windows 7 driver is not available.

Edit: so you were able to remove the drivers? Did you use the command line printui /s /t2 to remove them?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds