Unable to remove files

Discussion in 'Software' started by roboman123, Jul 26, 2008.

1. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I have a movie that I have downloaded and copied it over to a disk. I have used Nero Show Time to view it on my computer. Since copying it over to disk, I am unable to remove it as it gives me the error that

'it cannot delete it: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.'

I have closed out Nero Show Time and I still cannot get rid of the file.

Any ideas as to what is causing this and how can I get rid of this file?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Since this is not a malware issue, I am moving your thread to software. :)

3. SWario

SWario Sergeant

It is possible that some process somewhere is still clinging on to it because the program has marked it as "I was using it when I closed, so I will use it when I reopen!" sort of like how Windows Media Player retains its playlist if you exit it and reopen it.

Have you tried restarting and then deleting it? If that does not work, then you could try Pocket Killbox, which will delete the file during the next bootup of your computer, before Windows processes have a chance to interfere with the deletion. Exactly why this has occurred, I could not tell you.

4. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

Appreciate the help; thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds