unable to reset or update bios on vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by frank10, Sep 16, 2012.

1. frank10

frank10 Private E-2

I tried to do a bios update on my windows computer and when it finished it came back with a checksum error. now I need to find some kind of self loading file that will run itself automatically when I push it into the dvd drive. It needs to repair or update the bios so I can boot my computer. has anyone had this problem with and hp computer in the past and how did you fix it? thanks

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

What is your make/model of HP?

Desktop, or laptop?

3. frank10

frank10 Private E-2

desktop it was an hp a6000n with an asus motherboard

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I had put this CD image file together some time ago with the BIOS file.

You will need to burn the ISO to a CD as an image file using imgburn or other burning software. Then boot your computer from the CD. (Be sure to use Imgburn's "Write IMAGE file to Disc" option if you use that program.)

Boot from the CD
    You will get an A:> prompt
    Type in awdflash.exe <enter>
    For filename type in 513.rom <enter>
    Read the warnings and press "Y" to program. Should take less than a minute.

You may get a screen asking if you want to save the old BIOS. I think you might as well say No because if you say Yes it will be unable to save anywhere or will only save to virtual memory which will be deleted as soon as you restart your machine.

Full thread. You can jump to post 40 since previous posts concerned getting a CD that would boot properly with a SATA CDROM.

5. frank10

frank10 Private E-2

I will try this today and let you know. thanks

6. frank10

frank10 Private E-2

that worked. I want to thank you for your work.

frank

7. frank10

frank10 Private E-2

I want to upgrade my memory in my compaq presario with vista 32 bit on it to 2 gb. I think I will have to flash the new memory. will this flash work or can you tell me how to access the discopy you sent so I can put the proper bios on it. thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds