unable to unistall or us installed quicktime

Discussion in 'Software' started by rams, Jul 1, 2008.

1. rams

rams Private E-2

Hi all,
    Recently for some reason everytime I attempt to open quicktime or itunes the windows message (quictime has encounted a problem and needs to close down) or itunes. Have tried to unistall but now getting, when i try to unistall, (fatal error while installing). I tried to delete all quicktime files on harddrive for some silly reason. Then reinstalled quicktime, which said installed successfully but when i open I still get windows message saying encounted a problem and program has to close. How do I get rid of Quicktime off my harddrive pleeeeeease?????

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. rams

rams Private E-2

Yeh hi again,
    I actually can't unistall Quicktime because when I try it says a fatal error has occurred. I also uninstalled realplayer and reinstalled it and it will not open, giving no information. It just will not open. Add Remove programs will not allow me to unistall Quicktime, nor can I unistall it from the start menu, Quictime, Unistall. Is there any other way I can completely get rid of Quicktime from my computer. I have tried to install over the top and also delete some Quicktime rv files with no result. How do I get rid of Quicktime.??????

4. plodr

Try CCleaner
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
    After installing, on the main page, in the left column, click on Tools. Then select Run Uninstaller.
    If it isn't listed then you need to first search for an Apple and/or Quicktime folder and delete quicktime.

NOTE: Before you attempt the following, you must back up your registry! Why? Because if you delete things you shouldn't, you'll be in a much bigger mess than you are at present.
    Backup the registry by clicking the first word (in 2K it is Registry but I know it is not that word in XP - it might be file) and select Export registry. That will backup your registry. Put it on your desktop so you can find it if you need it.
    Then start/run and type in regedit and click on Edit, then find and type Quicktime in the box. It will stop when it finds a registry entry which, if quicktime, you'll chose to delete. Press F3 and it will locate the next item.

5. rams

rams Private E-2

Hi its me again I got some information on how to unistall Quicktime when it won't unistall and one of the pieces of information says to back up registry to desktop first, I am unsure how to do this or what it means. Please help, not very advanced, but trying to learn. When I search(right click on start menu, search) for quicktime I get 1177 hits, this seems like alot is it because I have tried to reinstall quicktime without unistalling so many times. I have also tried to use repair with the unistaller which says Quicktime is successfully installed, but it is not.

6. plodr

I posted above how to back up the registry.

7. rams

rams Private E-2

Hi, sorry I cant find the post to back up the registry, you said you posted above. Dont know how to do this, which registry do i need to backup on desktop?, Quicktime. Do not know how to do this, thankyou for your support.

8. plodr

Start/run and type in regedit
    The registry window will come up...

9. rams

rams Private E-2

Hi, I tried what you said, cc cleaner, backup registry to desktop(said there was error but still copied 28gb to desktop), but still have quicktime. Deleted quicktime with cc, think I got rid of all quicktime files with regedit(f3) still unable to unistall Quicktime. Have I missed anything. Also have error problems when copy, pasting to usb flashdrive mp3. Is this a manifestion of my Quicktime problem. How do I get rid of Quciktime???????????

10. plodr

Sorry, I've told you all I could find on uninstalling quicktime. If you've used the add/remove programs icon, tired to remove it using CCleaner, removed it from the registry and run CCleaner again to get rid of the broken shortcuts. I don't think there is much else you can do short of a clean install to remove it.

11. Rathgar2

Rathgar2 Private E-2

Hey I found this article below that might help. I am about to try this myself. Due to poor playback quality in QT I am gonna try to roll back to an earlier version of QT and ITunes to hopfully work around the issue.

http://www.codecguide.com/quicktime_removal.htm

12. Rathgar2

Rathgar2 Private E-2

Check this out too.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs.htm
    In addition, after you've followed those instructions I'd press "Edit" and press "Find" and type in quicktime and delete each highlighted item (F3 will take you to the next item) - IMPORTANT before you do anything to the registry, BACK IT UP by going to "File" and then "Export" - if things go bad you will be able to double click on the "Exported" file to restore things back to where they were before you screwed it up

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds