Unable to use Norton, and unable to update Antivirus Scanners

Discussion in 'Software' started by EscapeCat, Feb 23, 2014.

1. EscapeCat

EscapeCat Private First Class

Hi there. :) First off, I've already posted in the MALWARE forum and ran all necessary scans. Looks like I'm virus free.

But something is going on. I thought it was a virus because I am no longer even able to OPEN my Norton program. Also, when attempting to update my scanners (Malwarebytes, IObit), they say they cannot connect or just give error messages. (I'll attach the error messages in this post so you may see.)

I also am unable to update my Flash Player.

Another issue, is that I used to be able to connect via the WiFi to the printer, but now it says it cannot connect. I am not sure what's going on with my laptop, but had assumed it was a virus - but it's not. I also recently tried a system restore to December, but that did not solve the problem. Help?

Computer Specifications:

ASUS Laptop
    ASUS Notebook U52F Series
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
    RAM 4 GB (3.79 GB usable)
    64-Bit Operating System
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53 GHz

EDIT: Nevermind, since I already uploaded the error images in another thread, the forum won't let me attach them here. Please refer to the thread below to see the images:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1861826#post1861826

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. EscapeCat

That's a great question. I have no idea. I assumed that if I could connect to the wireless router to surf the net, that I could also do those updates (Adobe, Norton - which won't even open at all, and Iobit) and such. Is there a difference? (Please forgive my ignorance...I'm learning!) My boyfriend looked at it (with regard to the issue connecting to the printer, and couldn't find an issue, but he's not all that familiar with my system, either.)

4. plodr

If wireless is off, you can connect to the router because the router doesn't see your computer.
    Did you read the thread to see how to turn wireless on on your model ASUS laptop?

5. EscapeCat

Hi there,
    Yes. I read the thread. But I guess I am not quite understanding. You see, I'm using my wireless internet to access this site. I'm using it to surf the net right now. I'm not plugged in. But I am unable to UPDATE anything and have problems downloading things. I wouldn't be able to surf the internet if my wireless was off, correct? I did press the F2+Function key and I see how it toggles the wireless off and on, but I guess I simply don't understand my issue. I am on the internet with no plugs, via our network via the router. Is there a whole other connection needed to update programs or do downloads? I'm incredibly confused. (Sorry.) :(

6. EscapeCat

I just attempted to uninstall Norton AV via my control panel since I am unable to even access it, and when I select it and click on UNINSTALL/CHANGE, nothing happens. It completely doesn't respond...

7. EscapeCat

Sorry - last post for the night (I hope). I tried to edit my previous post, but I was at 11 minutes after my post, so it wouldn't let me. I apologize for that.

So, I tried installing the free antivirus program that comes with my ISP (Xfinity - Constant Guard Protection Suite which includes Norton) to see if it would possibly offer removal tools of my Norton program that is currently on there, and it downloaded fine, but when I went to RUN it, I received the error message that I need to have an internet connection. But I DO. :confused

So, I just plugged in the ethernet cable (even though I was getting internet via my WiFi as I was searching the net just fine) and got the exact same error message I was getting when I was using my WiFi. I could surf the net just fine, but running the new antivirus program install said I needed an internet connection. The same with all malware and antivirus programs as well as my Adobe Flash Player. Please see the attached message. *sigh* This laptop is about to take a flying leap off the balcony... :(

Attached Files:

8. plodr

I assumed you were using a different computer because the one with the problem would not let you on the internet at all.

For the moment, move the laptop close to the router and attach an ethernet cable. Are you able to update the security programs?

Here's the Norton Removal Tool
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/norton_removal_tool.html
    reboot after running it.

Also AppRemover will find all the security programs on the computer and cleanly remove those that you select for removal.
    Personally, I've seen Constant Guard in action on two computers and it was a pain on both. I have Comcast and refuse to use it. I run MS Security Essentials on 6 computers (3 run XP and 3 run Win 7).

I know you can't seem to download anything but get someone to download MS Security Essentials for you so you have it handy after you uninstall Norton and Constant Guard and reboot after each removal.

9. EscapeCat

No worries. ;)

I tried the ethernet connection last night and just like the issue I had with the wireless connection, I was able to surf the net, but unable to update programs.

You're my hero. :) I was able to download the removal tool successfully (on the laptop having issues) and it successfully removed Norton! I downloaded MS Security Essentials and it was able to update its database successfully. After that, I attempted to update my Malwarebytes scanner (which would not previously update) and SUCCESS! Then I went to Adobe's site to attempt to update my Flash Player, and again...SUCCESS!

Thank you SO much to you and Kestrel (for checking my logs in the malware forum). It seems some weird glitch with Norton crashing was causing my problems updating programs. For the time being - things seem to be functioning. :celebrate

I'll keep checking it out and HOPEFULLY all will continue to run smoothly. Thank you again for your assistance, patience, and recommendations! Cheers! :wine

10. plodr

I'm glad you got it working.
    It's always good when you can update your security programs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds