Unable to use System INformation in WinMe.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greyhound, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I get this message when I open System Information. The second one is when I try to go to anything in system information. The 02 is really the first one.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you scanned for Viruses lately?

1 person likes this.
  3. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I had just scanned last week but went ahead and did it this morning. No virus's. :)

4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

Click on Start/Run and type: command and click OK. This will open the command prompt window. Then perform the following actions.
    winmgmt /clearadap

This command clears all WMI-related values from the service's performance registry key.
    winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"

This command registers the computer's performance libraries with the WMI.

You can find the WMI service PID information on the Process tab of Windows Task Manager.

The performance registry keys for the involved services include the following registry keys:
    WbemAdapFileSize
    WbemAdapFileTime
    WbemAdapStatus

NOTE: For more information about the command options that are available with WMI, type winmgmt/? at a command prompt.

if that doesn't work then it's probably corrupt and I would try extracting the files from the ME disk, or perhaps running a cabs install over top of windows.

1 person likes this.
  5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I get a bad command with winmgmt /clearadap

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

nomad,
    You haven't been turning off services lately, have you?

Right-click My Computer, choose MANAGE, Double-clcick Apps & Services, click Services, check to make sure that all three of these are RUNNING and AUTOMATIC:

Event Log Service

Windows Management Instrumentation

Remote Procedure Call

If not, Start, and set to Auto. The tell us what you found when you looked in there.

7. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I am running WindowsMe, don't have the choices you are talking about.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Wizard scammed the MSKB for NT4. ;)
    saved a kitty for the wrong OS :D

anyway. I would try extracting the winmgmt file from the cabs.. not sure which cab file it's on.. google it ;)

9. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Am looking for the cab. thanks

10. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Again you have saved me, I replaced the winmngmt file and all seems a go now. Thanks again Kodo, you can close this if you so desire. :cool: :) :) :)

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

actually, I was concurring with FW190 on the extraction of the file from the cabs.. I take no credit but in agreement with him.

12. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Oh, lawdy! That's the second dumb thing I've done today.
    I WILL read the posts AND the TOPICS. I WILL read the posts AND the TOPICS. ...
    Glad you got 'er, nomad. (Sorry to have contributed NOTHING to the solution.)

13. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Sorry about that, thanks to you also Fw190. Appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds