Unable to Wake From Sleep After a Clean Install of Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cfuller, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

I have a Lenovo Edge 15 laptop. It came with a lot of bloatware, so I completed a fresh installation of Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, it appears that I am now missing a driver or program to allow my computer to wake up from sleep. Completely restarting my computer appears to be my only option from sleep mode.

I reached out to Lenovo to inquire which program or driver I might be missing, but was informed that they could not possibly memorize every driver on every computer, so they won't make any suggestions. I understand that y'all also don't memorize every program and driver, but if you have any suggestions on how I might restore my sleep and waking functionality, I'd appreciate it very much.

(If you have any suggestions on other important programs or drivers that need to be freshly installed also, I'm completely open to those suggestions too.)

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird as solution I find is if you allow your PC to sleep press the power button quickly once and dah dah!
    Some of the issues are Wireless and USB etc going into power save mode, they don't like to wake up at times...

But all of the above also worth a look as I have done the same over the years.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

As suggested by musksnipe, do have a look at the BIOS. Select Default Settings, not Optimized Settings. The latter doesn't work well with all hardware configurations.

4. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

It is an Edge 15-80k9000EUS.

I would like to continue using sleep mode. I am new to Lenovos, but I assume it's similar to Dell's hibernate mode which I used all the time.

Clicking the power button as I'm going into sleep mode did not help me, but thank you for the suggestion.

There are three errors that I have not been able to fix. I've attached a copy of my entire Device Manager line. Thank you so much for your assistance!

Attached Files:

5. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

I forgot to mention BIOS settings. I did set them to default, but the problem persists. Thank you for the suggestion.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

CFuller...

Have you tried the Lenovo site. There is a link to the drivers what I believe is your computer:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pr...ks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-edge-15?c=1

There is a "System Diagnostics" test you will see at the top that will verify that this is your model.

Note that at the bottom of the page in the middle there is an option to "Show All". There are hoards of drivers presented. Luckily, there is some documentation, but I think you may have your work cut out for you determining which of the drivers is missing.

Based on what I have seen before, I would say this could be a USB driver, a network driver, or I believe an AHCI driver. Not the expert here, so sorry I can't help identify this...

7. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

Yes, I have tried the Lenovo site. Lenovo lists several drivers for my computer which are not actually intended for this computer - or so I assume based on the pop-ups that I see when they inform me why they won't complete installation on my computer. The System diagnostics will not run either. I think Lenovo may be placing some things in their system to ensure that only people with certain software (the bloatware they load) are able to use their system diagnostic.

I've tried everything any of us can think of, short of factory resetting and regaining the bloatware. For now, I have discovered that hibernate works properly even while sleep does not. That will do the job, so I may have to call it a day there. Thanks so much for all your help.

8. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

Thank you! That did not solve the sleep problem, but it took care of two of the three device manager problems. (The unknown remains, but "unknown" is pretty hard to diagnose)

9. Eldon

Unplug every USB device and look if 'unknown' disappears. If not, it's an onboard device.

10. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

Acpi\ven_int&dev_33d6
    acpi\int33d6
    *int33d6

11. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

As the mouse is the only USB currently plugged in and it is showing up in the mice settings of the manager, I think it must be an onboard device.

12. Eldon

Does the laptop have onboard Bluetooth, camera, etc.? Check if they are working.

13. Cfuller

Cfuller Private E-2

The first link did fix the unknown driver problem. Thank you! I already used the second link, but I ran it again just in case. Neither link solved the sleep problem, but I'm sure it headed off problems that could have arisen down the road, so they're still much appreciated!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds