unbootable pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by astrodonut, Jul 5, 2009.

1. astrodonut

astrodonut Private E-2

So I had a bad malware attack. I used avast, superantispyware, and malware bytes to remove. I wasn't able to access safe mode (due to virus causing BSoD) but I remember reading somewhere that superantispyware could fix that. So I tried the bootsafe option in superantispyware thinking that would help me to access safe mode. Now my pc can't boot up in normal mode or safe mode since every time I try to boot in normal mode tries to boot in safe mode and just gets BSoD. My pc is currently unbootable but is there anyway to recover some of my files or fix this issue of it trying to boot in safe mode? Could I use it as a slave hard drive or something to get my files back?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am moving your thread to the software forum as there is little we can do as far as malware removal if your system will not boot.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

your other option might be to boot the install cd and go to the recovery console, and run chkdsk /p on the drive

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 (option 2 gives directions on how to boot from the windows cd)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds